Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What can I do about a massive goblin civ taking over retired forts?  (Read 563 times)

LoamEater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I've made 4 forts on one world save, retiring each one to the mercy of worldgen after I've gotten them as developed as possible, and each one has since been invaded by overwhelming droves of goblin. The queen of my civilization and her posse suddenly moved to my current fort because of this, and the one she got kicked out of is now home to ~2000 goblin inhabitants. How am I realistically supposed to fix this in (preferably) short order? A loyalty cascade already feels inevitable due to the sudden influx of new nobles, and I don't want my fort to tank with my monarch and numerous other important nobles inside to be killed and replaced with more goblins.

DerpFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What can I do about a massive goblin civ taking over retired forts?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 12:29:23 am »

That sounds something like what happened to this guy...
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/pjer09/til_how_to_fix_a_conquering_administrator/

I play a modded game with multiple races playable, so I've never known how it works in vanilla, can you still unretire your forts that the goblins have taken over?

You might want to start a fort in an inaccessible location (like an island, or if you can find an embarkable spot enclosed by mountains, etc.)  and make it into your new mountainhome. As far as I know, impasable terrain deters NPC sieges.