Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: returning player, classic, basic questions  (Read 459 times)

Juxtapoisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
returning player, classic, basic questions
« on: July 08, 2023, 09:47:51 pm »

I've been out since around the time of the steam release. Looking to get back in.
This is kind of a rude question, but what do I need to know, or resources, or pages of things I need to know to get back into things? I've been crawling through the forum, so it looks like Hack and Therapist are back.
I don't need a run down of changes, more of a general over view of how to get back in easily. If I grab Therapist and Hack and the new version (I play ascii) will I be mostly all set?

I know UI has changed, and I'll have a lot to learn about that and content and other changes. I just want to know a good way to jump back in with out making my life harder than it needs to be (even though managing a fort full of dwarves seems to be only about making my life harder than it needs to be, but there's fun harder and lame harder).

Else, this wasn't settled the last time I was around: Is it better to donate $, or buy the Itchio version? I'll only play classic, but I wonder if official purchases have a non-monetary value to Bay12 in terms of numbers, engagement, etc.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
Re: returning player, classic, basic questions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 10:55:39 pm »

You shouldn't need anything special, just grab the game and DFHack and Therapist (if you want them) and it should be fine. Getting into the new UI should be straightforward, but you will lose your muscle memory and some parts of the UI are still a bit janky, but it is generally easier to navigate and use than the older versions.

Is it better to donate $, or buy the Itchio version?
Do both ;), but in all seriousness I don't think it would affect it much, maybe buying on steam or itch would increase engagement and make it marginally more recommended to others? Other than that I can't imagine a difference in how you donate.