Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats the craziest thing in game that you can make a well out of?  (Read 639 times)

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Triggered a fell mood today, that resulted in a divine creature flame chain, which was interesting. 

Now I'm trying to see what the craziest contraption I can make out of bizarre fixed mat temp artifacts is.
Had an idea for a well that brings up buckets of boiling vampire blood water, and releases plumes of boiling vampire blood into the nearby vicinity.

I think a screw pump which uses an enormous corkscrew made out of elemental fire would also be kind of interesting. Would it make stuff boil as it sprays it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the craziest thing in game that you can make a well out of?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 12:20:20 am »

I would use a nether cap bucket to prevent boiling, actually, just because a well that boils everything is useless, but I guess that does make it "crazy." And boiling vampire blood unfortunately wouldnt do anything, as the syndrome attached to it an only be contracted by consuming it or being injected (which doesnt happen in vanilla because there are no creatures that inject their own blood. Contact with, or inhalation of blood wont spread vampirism.

You could make a rope from demon silk. Divine cloth would be impressive, considering you cant acquire it as bolts of cloth or thread to work with. You could make divine metal blocks, mechanisms or buckets, after melting down a bunch of divine weapons from a vault.

Technically, any solid material could appear as any object type, but youd have to use dfhack or specially-made reactions to create them. A Well made from demon bone blocks, forgotten beast intestine chain, filth bucket and fairy tooth mechanisms would be, well, horrifying and disgusting. Slade blocks, horse bone mechanisms, chicken bone chain, dragon egg shell bucket.

Dwarf hair ropes, lettuce leaf buckets, sheep hoof blocks, ice mechanisms, demon bone buckets...

But you cant make items out of invalid materials without modding or dfhack...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 02:14:03 pm »

Hehe, yes. It occurred to me not long after this post that inhaling vampire blood sadly wouldn't spread vampirism.

The question posed was less about aesthetics, and more about bizarre non-well-like functionality.

I posted this question in the modding forums, since I'm curious as to what very bizarre non-standard materials might allow. For instance, if one were to say, build an entire well out of a colony of bees.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 06:39:36 pm »

It's very difficult, but you might persuade a dwarf to make a dragon leather rope.

(In an older version, I made a dragon leather shield by forcing a dwarf to attempt the task over and over again, eventually he just said fuck it and fully made the shield. I think that glitch got patched.)

of course, dragon leather has a fixed temp I scientifically term 'Really Hot'. So any dwarf who was forced to wield the shield melted, making it pretty much useless.

I just wanted to make an anti-dragon fire shield like in Runescape.

Funny thing is, any dwarf that successfully makes a block check against dragon-fire becomes immune to it's area effect. Any shield will do.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 04:24:36 pm »

of course, dragon leather has a fixed temp

Hmm... I'm not sure what dragons you're playing with, as dragons in vanilla don't produce leather. Instead, they use scale.

Heres the dragon vanilla raws up to the relevant lines.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 04:26:11 pm by dikbutdagrate »