Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Curious question about Steel  (Read 389 times)

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Curious question about Steel
« on: June 30, 2023, 06:09:28 pm »

I'm wondering if it's possible to make it so the knowledge of steel production is locked behind secret knowledge similar to how the knowledge of Necromancy currently works?  I've seen mods for magic systems utilizing this(at least I think that's how they work), and with how abundant iron, flux, and coal/charcoal is I'd just personally like for this restriction for a sense of progression, and allowing for other metals to become more appealing to use for more than just fulfilling the needs/desires of specific dwarves.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: Curious question about Steel
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 10:11:28 pm »

It'd have to be hacky with how there's no basegame way for interactions (secrets and spell abilities) to work with reactions (custom crafting) to interlock - but there is a workaround. You're able to spawn items with interactions, so a metallurge could have no magical abilities but the ability to summon an item crucial for steelworking (by adding a reagent to the steelmaking recipe) with the usage hint of friendly greeting and self-cleaning.
I'm not sure what kind of object you'd flavor the junk that the metallurge would litter around your fortress, but you can make it any arbitrary object since you can target arbitrarily specific things in reactions.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Curious question about Steel
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 04:29:10 pm »

Thank you for the response, and yeah that sounds a bit more involved than my current modding skill level.  Guess I'll have to wait and see what changes the Myth and Magic update brings us