Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vintage Story: A Minecraft mod that became its own game  (Read 1917 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Vintage Story: A Minecraft mod that became its own game
« on: June 21, 2023, 12:42:15 pm »

Vintage Story is a former Minecraft mod which became big and complex enough that in the end, the Devs decided to turn it into a standalone game, and I think ye might find it interesting. It focuses far more on survival than Minecraft, with the entire process of going from flint to copper to bronze to iron to steel recreated in detail. It is a very grindy game at times, but it is staggeringly in-depth in its design, including real geology and realistic ore generation and distribution, all four seasons, animal husbandry, cooking, cheesemakers, archeology(?) And horror. It's very much not a game for everyone, but as I said, some of ye may find it interesting.

Also, despite being made by a much smaller team, it is arguably significantly better optimized than minecraft, but this will differ based on your specs.

It's out for Windows and Linux, but not mac.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Story: A Minecraft mod that became its own game
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 12:52:47 pm »

Old thread is here
Not as old thread is here

Version 1.18 came out relatively recently which added a story 'dungeon', but I haven't gotten around to playing it much. I wish I could more readily find a flat place to build that wasn't near the forest where wolves spawn. The game loves generating really 'spiky' terrain.