Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stairway Mister  (Read 778 times)

Slone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stairway Mister
« on: May 01, 2023, 07:02:12 pm »

If I make the main stairway for my fort a 3x3 with a shaft down the middle, and then drop water down this shaft, will it mist my dwarves whenever they use the stairs? Would putting floor grates in matter?

Thanks

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stairway Mister
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 10:00:16 am »

It would mist them and floor grates would help that no dwarf accidentally falls down.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 07:40:02 am »

I suspect that water falling down an empty mine shaft would not create mist, just based on seeing waterfalls on rivers.  But water dripping down stairs from an aquifer does create mist on adjacent tiles as it falls.  A grate would probably produce mist, but if not, just build an up/down stairway for that effect.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 03:37:52 pm »

I'm pretty sure that during flooding events my dwarves enjoyed mists for some time...
Then they were starting to drown.

Slone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 10:02:35 am »

It would mist them and floor grates would help that no dwarf accidentally falls down.
It seems to be working. The mist is intermittent rather than constant, but I'm new to the game and don't know if this is usual or not. But it's increased the happiness of my fort significantly, so mission accomplished.

Thanks for the input.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 09:51:35 pm »

It seems to be working. The mist is intermittent rather than constant, but I'm new to the game and don't know if this is usual or not. But it's increased the happiness of my fort significantly, so mission accomplished.

What's probably going on there is that light aquifers have a relatively low rate of water generated per exposed tile open tile receiving water in a month, much less than heavy aquifers. So you're probably getting little chunks of water one at a time, not a true ongoing waterfall. (I didn't know this for the longest time, the forum lore on aquifers and means of breaking through was so involved I stayed away out of fear. Then the first one I punched through was anticlimactic.)

In principle you could get a busier waterfall by digging a long enough horizontal shaft through the aquifer level to increase the number of squares exposed and generating water. (Reinventing the real world qanat, if you're interested.) I'm just making conversation though, not recommending this, as Fun might ensue without some other changes to your layout.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:24:20 pm by Goldbeard »