Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Benefited greatly from gem-encrusting beds.  (Read 1299 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Benefited greatly from gem-encrusting beds.
« on: May 25, 2023, 06:25:22 am »

I managed to get furniture gem-encrusted without too much hassle.

The beds got various attention by the jeweler, resulting in some of them being encrusted over an over again, raising their worth to like 3K dwarfbucks. They actually look like artefacts with many spkes, images and so on. I guess they sometimes get so encrusted because I make the beds some time before I need them, so they get to stay longer in the encrusting area.

So you slap one of those bad boy into a 2*2 smoothed bedroom, and it's a grand bedroom just from the bed.

I'm more worrying now about ending up with a lot of bedrooms that are so good the nobles will get angry about it.

What I did was:

- Only one stockpile in the fort set to accept cur gems and the furniture I want to encrust, beds, statues, chests, cabinets.
- Stockpile must not have bins, otherwise they get encrusted.

The gemcutter is right next to the stockpile.

The manual part of is that once in a while, you need to toggle the gemcutter shop from only taking from the furniture stockpile and encrusting, and when it runs out of gems you switch it to take from everywhere and cut gems. I have another jeweler on the other side of the stockpile set to cut gems in perpetuity to replenish the gem/furniture stockpile.

As a bonus, I built workshops crafting workshops set to decorate with bone, ivory, shells, hoos. And a metalsmith set to stud with [which ever metal I don't need for anything else really, like led or zinc.] I didn't chain these or anything, but just banked on them hitting the furniture from being next to them. And it works. They do decorate the furniture, along with many random items. They seem to prefer crafts, armor and clothes.

But it's not a problem to me. It's actually mostly usefull, as all the non-worn clothes are getting so much bling-bling that an xsockx becomes worth like 300. So I can fulfiill my trading needs almost only with worn clothes that I want rid of anyway. I haven't checked if anybody gets happy thoughts from wearing super-expensive armor or clothes.

So the furniture has like gems, bones, shells, studs in copious amounts. It's a breeze to get high quality bedrooms. It's also easy to get the temples to 10x value, just make a few statues once in a while and they get so decorated they're worth a lot.

As a negative effect I almost can't trade with the elves, as pretty much everything has got shells or bone on it, which means the elves won't take it.

All you need to do is to check on the encrusting workshop every now and then to se if you need to toggle it. For me this is an easy way to get high quality bedrooms - especially in this fort because I haven't found gold or platinum yet.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Benefited greatly from gem-encrusting beds.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 12:01:06 pm »

For me this is an easy way to get high quality bedrooms - especially in this fort because I haven't found gold or platinum yet.
Steel has the same value with gold. You can just make steel cabinets, chests, or statues.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 12:28:47 pm »

For me this is an easy way to get high quality bedrooms - especially in this fort because I haven't found gold or platinum yet.
Steel has the same value with gold. You can just make steel cabinets, chests, or statues.

I do for statues for temples, but I think it's too much work to make a chest and cabinet for everybody of steel.

Some of the bedrooms are fine already with a decorated bed and then just a wooden chest and cabinet.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 01:22:13 pm »

Easiest high value is an engraved constructed floor, since engravings still have very high multipliers. It would probably do wonders with even zinc or lead.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 01:23:59 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 06:27:27 pm »

Can masterwork beds be encrusted?

xzaxza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 03:34:34 am »

Can masterwork beds be encrusted?
yes, ofc
Known issues
You may get a dwarf that likes bugged stockpiles.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2023, 04:55:53 am »

Easiest high value is an engraved constructed floor, since engravings still have very high multipliers. It would probably do wonders with even zinc or lead.

Never thought of that.

Do you then encrust some blocks before hand, and they keep the encrustation when they're floored?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 05:37:27 am »

I do for statues for temples, but I think it's too much work to make a chest and cabinet for everybody of steel.

Some of the bedrooms are fine already with a decorated bed and then just a wooden chest and cabinet.

It only really matters if you have skilled dwarves, but you can easily match the quality of superior metalware by using masterfully dyed, spun and sown bags, for a uniform blue set of fine 1x4 batchelor bedrooms. Theres 5 different modifiers (not least silk vs cloth, and quality of the finished product) before you get to the additions, like studding it with steel which is more efficient generally.

Luckily also being a skillset that applies to clothes.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 12:52:02 am »

…by using masterfully dyed, spun and sown bags…
((Emphasis added))

“Sown Bags”?  Should I be handing my used clothing to my farmers so they can plant them?  Can replace my clothing industry that way?  If the farm plots can grow both food and fully formed clothing, that’d save me some trouble as that’d be one less industry to set up!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 05:22:39 pm »

Can we then brew bags? Some masterful bag wine would be nice.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2023, 10:59:56 am »

As a negative effect I almost can't trade with the elves, as pretty much everything has got shells or bone on it, which means the elves won't take it.

negative effect . . .can't trade . . .elves

negative

re: bed encrusting, hmmm. All jokes aside, I find myself to generally ignore encrusting due to that exact effect of interfering with something as basic as trade. Any production process adds to the bureaucratic overhead of managing a fortress.. and sometimes the resultant products are not worth the hassle, however valued they might be by certain dwarves.

Your described, somewhat haphazard, approach to encrusting seems to meet at the middle point between over-management (I just spent ten minutes organizing these stockpiles.. ) and wasted dwarven labor (this sandstone floodgate is encrusted with half of the fortress's gems.. ). though the fact any manual control is needed will immediately turn off a whole sub-set of players.

Can we then brew bags? Some masterful bag wine would be nice.

... only after the "Canadian Cultures" update
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 11:10:04 am by Salmeuk »