Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to go for a challenge?  (Read 1387 times)

Ibu Muffintakers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where to go for a challenge?
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:46:00 am »

My latest character is doing pretty well.  I've been chasing down elite bowmen with 'exotic' weapons (thongs, etc) to entertain myself and have yet to suffer anything worse than a pierced thigh.  Ruins and goblin halls no longer pose a challenge.  I'm on the verge of attempted genocide just for something to do.

I haven't played fortress mode much, so there are no big nasties to go after in reclaiming old forts.

Where are the hydras, titans, and dragons that everyone talks about?  Are these ever generated in adventurer mode?

ime flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go for a challenge?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 12:18:00 pm »

Try asking every mayor in every human town you can find. You do run the risk of either cluttering up your quest log or having to fun to and fro killing now-trivial creatures. I've more often than not got a quest to kill a dragon or bronze colossus(when I'm just starting out, too), usually five different people asking me to kill the same mega-beast.

FunkyBomb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 02:21:00 pm »

I've run into a few Titans in Adventure Mode. They were in caves, on the second or deeper levels.

I also ran into an ironman in a cave. I don't know how tough they are because I ran away after it broke my arm with a single punch.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

If you take quests from the blinking guy in the large keeps in human capitals, they'll bypass the easier cave opponents.  They still give goblin and ruin quests, according to the distance from the capital, but eventually they'll run out of those and give you something harder when it becomes the closest thing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »

Iron men aren't too bad. The $3000 masterpiece iron statue makes them worth it, though they weigh 300lbs. If you have trouble with them you'll probably want full iron plate armor before trying to kill them.
You die in the heat.

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 10:26:00 pm »

I've heard lots of stories from people who've one-shotted dragons, so don't look for too much of a challenge there.  I think your best option would be to retire for a while, start a fortress, dig it really huge, and then abandon it.  Swarms seem to be more powerful than stronger individuals (discounting instakills from fireballs and other lucky hits), and I've found swarms of relatively powerful monsters in big old fortresses.

I think being attacked by three giant bats and two naked mole dogs simultaneously should be fairly challenging.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 12:37:00 pm »

For more fun, dig a huge fortress, and mine out the adamantine.  It may be tricky keeping your dwarves alive through the demon attacks if you rush this, of course.

I think someone in the pregenerated world thread had a save file with a pretty large fortress already existing, which you could use to mine to the adamantine, maybe make some weapons/armor as fast as you can, and then wait for the balrog to come and smash everything.

Then you'll have something to work for in adventure mode.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 01:30:00 pm »

Yea, Fortress Kolerith, my latest fortress. As it was a few days before the file was posted anyways. (BTW, the link problem to the file has been fixed.)

It covers a huge area, so lots of places for monsters to call home. And there is enough steel to bridge the magma flow.

But, in spite of having lots of forges and smelters, the metal production is very slow. Not a very efficient layout I'm afraid. So armor and weapon production will suck until that area can be improved.

As long as you dont need to make lots of armor and weapons, you can easily get to the pits and adamantium. And after the end screen, it would make a great deep hole to explore and retake.

ho watches those that watch us???