Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This! Is! Spartaaaaaaa! (50.x, Seeking Overseers)  (Read 2234 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Re: This! Is! Spartaaaaaaa! (50.x, Seeking Overseers)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2023, 02:05:39 pm »

Here is the save, will post soon.
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16547
Highlights,

A revolt and a new queen
MY DORFED DWARF VANISHING (NOT DEAD OR MISSING) STRAIGHT UP LEFT NO IDEA WHY
Me having to build royal accomedation
Almost one force of darkness attach each season
Squads being deleted by accident
Food crisis
EVERYONE IS FISHING
WE ARE RICH IN MUSCLES
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2023, 04:36:53 pm »

Here is the save, will post soon.
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16547
Highlights,

A revolt and a new queen
MY DORFED DWARF VANISHING (NOT DEAD OR MISSING) STRAIGHT UP LEFT NO IDEA WHY
Me having to build royal accomedation
Almost one force of darkness attach each season
Squads being deleted by accident
Food crisis
EVERYONE IS FISHING
WE ARE RICH IN MUSCLES

Sounds fantastic)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 02:36:11 am »

Sounds like everything is going according to plan.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2023, 03:07:21 am »

PTW, and if you're still accepting Dorfing, please count me in
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2023, 12:55:33 pm »

By the way, it's Salmeuk's turn now. I'll message

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2023, 12:59:09 pm »

EVERYONE IS FISHING
WE ARE RICH IN MUSCLES

oh my godddddd

ok . picking this up, expect update day or two from now.  :D

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2023, 06:22:10 pm »

PTW, and if you're still accepting Dorfing, please count me in

dwarf'd as a legendary weaver-turned-militia-captain

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

playing tonight.

those blue things are mussels. Avolition wasn't kidding, my god

===

It is year 7. This world is unquestionably young. Us 41 dwarves are willed by the gods to brew beer and fight goblins.

Last year the queen arrived, throwing a wrench into our plans for world domination. Avolition threw down a competent series of royal suites to host her greatness, but more could be done. She complains of the large stone boulders blocking her path. 

The boulders will have to wait, since we have a much more pressing concern. Our military records were destroyed when Bem threw the ledger into the stream. Turns out he was drunk and thought it was some kind of evil tome.

This left us without a proper command structure, so with the queen's input I sat down and re-arranged our dwarves into proper formations. Here at Manorsquares, EVERYONE lifts a blade or a bludgeon, no matter their profession.

Baprr with his axe fighters, myself with the swordfighters, and everyone else under two Militia Captains would train intermittently. A few dwarves were deemed too useful to risk in proper fighting, and assigned to a separate "notables and VIPs" squad. This includes our surgeons, doctors, queen and King.

The miners were excused from training seeing as they would naturally develop great strength through labor. Woodcutters are notoriously covetous of their axes, and would balk at the notion of using their honed bladeheads to fight. So they, too, were excused from duty.

Further concerns were raised by the miners. Our central staircase had penetrated two of the caverns, and remained exposed to the dark shadows of the depths.

It would take a month or two to close these gaps in the walls, so this action was prioritized. We were fighters, sure, but underequipped and undertrained. A proper cavern combat arena would be made before the end of the year if all went well.

It was noted during my review of the fortress that the black surface sand was easily dug, and considered some kind of water moat or canal to direct attacking forces.

Finally, the dwarves are unhappy and the food stocks are empty. So much to do, so little time to train...

Spring softly passes us by as work continues.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 01:40:45 am by Salmeuk »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2023, 02:59:59 am »

A vile force of darkness, a band of goblin thieves and bowmen rambled towards our gate, oblivious to our violent nature. Fight was brought to them with all citizens assembling for the battle, regardless of equipment. The timing was terrible, you see - the orders having just gone out for the new uniforms, our military was in disarray. two died during the scramble for weapons, but the siege was forced to retreat.

Spring passed, with Summer arriving alongside the Human traders. We sold them a pile of bloody armor for a ton of food.

A small siege was fought with three casualties.

Autumn brought another siege. We waited in the fortifications, but the goblin scouts baited us into a fight in the unfinished moat.

Two dwarves were lost, more wounded - the hospital is filling up. NRDL the newest militia captain fell when a crossbowman shot his legs and bashed his brains out. Oof. He will be remembered.

Nomal has gone insane (in a good way) and grabbed a big pile of materials, hauling them to the metalsmith. What would be created?

A fanciful earring of platinum. bling...

The main food and storage room was plain but functional.

Winter was more digging. The moat was filled, bringing the fish and water closer to home.

Then, the goblins came, a siege - but they wanted to talk this time. A parley.

Should we talk to the goblins? What say you?

===

NRDL I'm going to go ahead and re-dwarf you since your first pawn lasted less than three seasons.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2023, 03:23:35 am »

This is Sparta fortress we don't talk our problems away we fight them away!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2023, 07:53:50 am »

They're perfectly aware of our violent nature, they're just underestimating us. Such an insult can not be ignored!

And talking is for those who can't fight.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2023, 02:59:19 am »

The goblin plea for peace was completely ignored. This, unfortunately, resulted in the immediate death of about 6 dwarves who were caught outside the walls... someone might want to implement a curfew or something.

Our fighters then assembled and flew into battle with minor losses on our side. However, NRDL (the second) took particularly heavy injuries and was confined to the hospital.

Later, the pain became too much and their broken brain caused them to become enraged at all living things.

As winter passed, the whole fortress took time from training to work on equipping our soldiers with armor and weaponry. it had become clear that morale was low after multiple dwarves lost their minds to depression.

===

Feb, our illustrious queen, decided it was nigh time to enforce her various impulsive demands upon the populace, and requested our lone jeweler craft a single large gem before the year's end. "It is but a simple request!" Feb proclaimed.

The failure to meet his mandate was predictable and frustrating, however, I was not expecting my own implication in this failure. Somehow Feb had decided it was MY failure as overseer. What a joke! Regardless, we had no plans to implement the various procedures and protocols of the justice system. Too much else needed doing.

The year is now 8. We have 34 dwarves, most are utterly depressed. The forges burn all day, and night, and we train in the meantime. The goblins will keep coming after our insult. Let us be prepared.

====

save here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16560

there are four uniforms: axe+shield, sword+shield, axe+fullarmor, and sword+fullarmor. The militia are scheduled for 3 months a year training. I re-named all dwarves as their respective military roles and removed all labor restrictions (excluding doctors, miners, woodcutters, nobility) as we had lost too many specific roles to keep up the precise guidlines present when I started my turn.

All in all, things are not looking good. Dwarven moral is tanking, and I failed to rebuild the hospital after some shenanigans, and also we desperately need beds - but oddly enough I cannot seem to designate the various cacti and highwood trees for felling? odd.

The furnaces have plenty of fuel and there is more to be mined.

Oh and I ALSO failed to wall off the caverns. almost. but not quite. Death awaits us there - in fact, I am surprised nothing attacked us during my turn.

I feel terrible for losing NRDL twice... I will hold off on re-dwarfing them a third time. I must be unlucky.

thx for reading  :)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 03:01:09 am by Salmeuk »

Baprr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2023, 05:59:14 am »

Thanks for playing. I'll look for another player, or start the queue over.

I think we need a way to de-stress the dwarves.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2023, 07:05:28 am »

So happy to die not one but two deaths for the fort
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Noagga76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2023, 03:11:41 pm »

Gods of the founders:
Ustuth - the god of torture, misery and labor.
Datan - the god of minerals.
Banik Amuggedor - the god of trickery, treachery and lies.
One of these things, is not like the others, one of these things just doesn’t belong…
Pages: 1 [2]