Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam ASCII Mode Improvements  (Read 1647 times)

biggybeans22

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Steam ASCII Mode Improvements
« on: May 07, 2023, 01:43:23 pm »

I enjoy playing dwarf fortress on steam using the ASCII graphics, but there are a few things holding it back.

-Can't zoom in or out. - The normal zoom is too zoomed out for me to discern what each character is easily even with 20/20 vision. This is my main gripe with the ASCII graphics on steam, and the reason I made this post.
-Ability to change the color scheme. - In the old version you could go into the raw files and change the colors for the tiles, and I am not sure if you still can on the steam edition, but I think it could bring some extra flavor to the game.  Even if you could somehow change the colors in the steam files now it might be nice to have that as a designated setting.
-Interchangeable UI. - The ASCII version UI is fairly confusing to look at and would be made much simpler with a setting to flip between the modern and the ASCII version UI while keeping the game visuals the same.
-Liquid Depth. There might be a way to switch, on the ASCII version, the graphics of liquids from numbers to wave symbols, but I am not sure.

Why don't I just play the old game?  Because the steam edition is a much cleaner, much more playable game.  Plus, I am not using ASCII graphics 24/7 while playing, I'm not that much of a maniac.  And if you are really reading this Tarn, if you fixed the zooming and ignored everything else I would be happy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 01:46:40 pm by biggybeans22 »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam ASCII Mode Improvements
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 04:08:58 pm »

The limitations to the interface when using ascii mode in the latest version of the game are the same regardless of where you got it from. Steam Itch, free from here. There's only one game.

Colours work in exactly the same way as they always have done, just replace the colors.txt file. Zoom, yes broke, which is annoying, but on its way back at some point. Tarn's mentioned it's a priority.

You currently can just flip between ASCII and graphics mode. There's only one single UI. (Settings - use Ascii glyphs yes/no). That's kind of the problem as it wasn't really designed with ascii mode in mind.

There are videos on YouTube where Tarn explains the game's current development. In addition he holds a monthly Q&A in the thread Future of the Fortress where you can ask him anything you like about improvements to the interface.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam ASCII Mode Improvements
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 06:22:04 pm »

-Interchangeable UI. - The ASCII version UI is fairly confusing to look at and would be made much simpler with a setting to flip between the modern and the ASCII version UI while keeping the game visuals the same.

sadly, due to the update philosophy the old style ascii U.I. will not be making a return. The new interface is *personally* unenjoyable for a number of reasons, so I agree with your interest.

one thing you should keep an eye on is the DFhack project. A recent poll went through and prioritized an update to the DFhack "manipulator", which was a super well designed and handy tool for designating tasks and labors. Hopefully with enough time and support the community can return the ASCII mode to a playable state

ASCII is much superior to tilsets as you are not forced into perceiving items according to the arbitrary representations of an artist. symbolism baby :]

However, a number of your concerns can be addressed immediately:

1. Color scheme works in the same way as before! At least for ASCII. be aware I had some issues with certain tileset sizes when installing them so finagling may be required
2. Liquid Depth is a button nearby the minimap in the upright corner of the new U.I. No, it is not your fault you missed it - the new U.I. has issues differentiating between buttons and displays

so, with a little patience, we can hopefully return to the golden days of ASCII beauty.