Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Treasure hunters throwing themselves at my artifact  (Read 512 times)

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Treasure hunters throwing themselves at my artifact
« on: August 18, 2023, 11:49:13 am »

On the first year of my fort, one of my Dwarven children entered a strange mood and made a chalk scepter. Nothing special, just a boring old scepter, worth very little by artifact standards. But a few months later, a mercenary shows up in my fort, demanding that very scepter. My swordsdwarf takes care of him, but then immediately after, another one shows  up. Then another one. Then another one. My swordsdwarf forgets his sword and is killed. I put a few of my miners in makeshift squads in a desperate attempt to stop them. As soon as one falls, another one, sometimes two, show up on the map. This causes a massive bar fight to erupt in the tavern and every visitor is kicked out if the fortress, but more treasure hunters keep showing up. Eventually, I put the scepter behind copper bars in a display room, along with the other artifacts, but they still keep coming. I've got an entire team of trained swordsdwarves now, steel gear and all. The bodies of fallen intruders are piling up in the river. The constant fighting has made the morale of my dwarves plummet. And eventually... it stops. As if every mercenary in the region was hired by someone very powerful to steal the scepter from us and we had killed them all. We were finally safe.

Until the mountain titan showed up.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 06:47:50 am by Urist Mchateselves »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Treasure hunters throwing themselves at my artifact
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 12:27:03 pm »

Mountain titan, an ultimate mercenary :)

Well, I wouldn't kill the questers, just ignore them, at least until my military is quite good. Unless they came with an army and an ultimatum...

Urist Mchateselves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 02:00:00 pm »

The problem with not killing them is that they come into my fort and start stabbing people

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 02:17:55 pm »

My questers don't do that, they usually try to get it diplomatically or steal it. I had one try at least ten times, during ten visits, till he was killed by a gobbo siege, when I accidentally closed the gate for him. But maybe their tactics differ based on their character.