Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bring Engraving Value in line with new v050 Value modifiers  (Read 364 times)

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bring Engraving Value in line with new v050 Value modifiers
« on: February 24, 2023, 02:19:32 pm »

I was discussing with a newer player about how very trivial it is to meet value requirements by basically covering your entire fort in, say, iron and engraving it. This let me to a conclusion and a discovery:

1. I discovered that the value multipliers for engravings go up to x12 on a masterwork, like they did in v47. (This is according to the v.050 wiki article for how engravings work differently now.) However, everything else goes up to x2 on a masterwork now, which would make a single-bar engraving crazy good at boosting value. Much more than it probably should for something you just walk on. I would suggest this is an oversight, and should use the same value multipliers.

2. I also came to think that the opportunity cost of using metals has plummeted, probably because the default value for world gen, which is what almost all players will use, has been changed to "metals everywhere." I would suggest, for the sake of gameplay, that it's actually better to have rarer metals.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 04:15:04 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Engraving Value in line with new v050 Value modifiers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 06:52:04 pm »

On 2)
Too many players cried when they spent a long time generating a world only to find that the "perfect embark spot" didn't have metal.

Personally I think adapting to circumstances is a fine, if not better (as you say) game to play. But in the end, the options are there to be changed. So not a big deal I suppose.

Except that they also added a new indicator on the embark screen that tells you exactly what metals are available in every spot as you move the mouse over it, with no way to hide it so such gameplay no longer exists unfortunately. Terrible addition. Why not just stop at the search function for people who want to know where the iron is.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Engraving Value in line with new v050 Value modifiers
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 07:00:43 pm »

I understand both approaches - that said, I think that having a better ability to see what you're getting effectively means reverting back to a lower default mineral setting is that much better of an option.

Perhaps the tutorial fort should be on a "minerals everywhere" world.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."