Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Computing in Fortress Mode : Using water or not? (especially for FPS)  (Read 788 times)

Stained_Class

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello,

I'd like to do some computing in DF, which requires memory cells. I think about using D latches for this. I have two ideas of D-latches, one with water and one without water (for the rest of the logic, I will use purely mechanical stuff).

The principle of a D latch is that the memory cell takes the state of a logical input D, only if the Enable input E is true.
Input EInput DOutput Q
0XQ

The first is a fluid latch. The inputs are D (the data input,

If both D and E are true, both doors are open and water enters and fill the tiles with the pressure plate completely.
If D is false and E is true, water is spilled between both tiles, and water on the pressure plate is less than 4.

The second one is a purely mechanical / minecart one.

When conditions to change the state of the cell are true, the outermost cart is pushed by rollers, which collides with the other cart and send it on the other rollers.

The fluid one is more compact and requires less mechanisms and other stuff, but it requires water.

Does using water for computing really tanks your performance and your FPS? Can I use water for this and also to power mechanisms with water wheels, or should I use loads of windmills instead? Do you have other advices for computing?

Thanks for answers.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Computing in Fortress Mode : Using water or not? (especially for FPS)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 09:10:56 pm »

I take it you’re already familiar with this page (and all of the pages it links to)?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Stained_Class

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 03:45:14 am »

I'm pretty familiar to these. However, these say next to nothing about FPS, or speed execution (well, as long as everything is well-timed, related to the 100 ticks delay after a pressure plate is pressed).

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 09:39:45 pm »

If you need constant power for minecarts, impulse ramps are a good option.

I prefer minecart systems because they provide better training for the doctors.

Stained_Class

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 09:11:17 pm »

If you need constant power for minecarts, impulse ramps are a good option.

Pretty exploitish to be honest. Although I may end up using these. Can they put a still minecart in motion? Or else I may only use it on the clock/repeater.

I prefer minecart systems because they provide better training for the doctors.

I'd prefer to have no dwarves or any creatures for that matter in any place where the minecarts go.