Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions brought up by Masonry  (Read 1071 times)

FenrirWoof

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions brought up by Masonry
« on: February 07, 2023, 03:49:04 pm »

So now Masonry has become Architecture, but only for Stone buildings. Wood buildings use Carpentry, and Metal buildings use... for some reason I don't quite understand... whatever Metal-working skill your Builderdwarf is most-skilled at.

Wouldn't it just be Blacksmithing? Extrapolating skill at making swords (Weaponsmithing) into skill at turning Metal Bars into buildings is a bit of a stretch. I can understand Armorsmithing, since Armor has empty spaces in it like buildings. Metalcrafting is also tenuous, due to the tiny scale of the crafts, though it's not quite as weird (at least to me) as Weaponsmithing.

On that note, Metal Bars aren't forged into the buildings; they're essentially used like blocks. So shouldn't Metal buildings ALSO use Masonry, instead of Metal-working skills?

Wood buildings using Carpentry is fine; I'm just glad there aren't nails in-game yet.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions brought up by Masonry
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 04:11:24 pm »

Maybe a Weaponsmith knows better what he needs the building to look like than some random Stone carver.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 03:15:45 am »

On that note, Metal Bars aren't forged into the buildings; they're essentially used like blocks. So shouldn't Metal buildings ALSO use Masonry, instead of Metal-working skills?

Maybe they're soldered together? Can't imagine mortar being used on metal bars.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 03:20:36 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 01:37:35 pm »

Potentially, metal bars could have indentations or holes through them, like some bricks do. Then you could use metal slag as a mortar or vertical bars through the holes to lock the blocks in place.

And wooden pegs were used for many wood-joining needs (buildings, ships, etc) before and after metal nails were developed.

Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 04:08:18 am »

This is a set of «☼lead dwarven Legos☼». It menaces with spikes of lead.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 04:12:03 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 02:44:31 pm »

Potentially, metal bars could have indentations or holes through them, like some bricks do. Then you could use metal slag as a mortar or vertical bars through the holes to lock the blocks in place.

Or nuts and bolts. I just put together a bookcase which did that.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!