Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you find the various seeds used for world generation of a specific world?  (Read 496 times)

Inatun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been wanting to record some DF gameplay now that the Steam version is out and viewers can more easily understand what's going on. I've found what I feel to be a perfect embark location for what I want to do, but the only problem is that I don't have elves as neighbors and I'd like to have all three races as neighbors just for sake of having the complete experience.

I know that different seeds are used for things like terrain and civilization placement, so I was hoping to extract the seed responsible for terrain generation while trying for another one that has all three races near my chosen location.

I'm willing to dive deep into some files to accomplish this, I just need to have someone explain to me how to locate what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The seeds are stored in gamelog.txt in the base Dwarf Fortress folder.
Each time you run a new world it'll add the seeds to the log so you'll have the past several worlds stored in there.

(Note that 50.05 is apparently not recreating worlds properly with the seeds right now. That often happens at the start of a big release and will probably settle down at some point after a few more patches. 47.05 seems to work OK).