Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: mist generators: are they worth it?  (Read 2654 times)

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
Re: mist generators: are they worth it?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2023, 10:01:16 am »

Thanks @Maolagin, great explanation, cheers!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mist generators: are they worth it?
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 12:25:19 pm »

the water falling through the corridor will interrupt pathing from time to time unless you very carefully control the size of the water stacks. So in most cases, such a setup will be less FPS-friendly.
A while back someone did some science with mist and fortification suggesting that you can use waterfall along side the main staircase like this:

xxx╬
xxx╬▓
xxx╬

Seems like a another nice solution, that allow to generate positive thoughts from mist through the main arteries of your fort without much drawback. Though iirc it didn't actually work in my test, possibly because I only used a light aquifer to feed, any idea if that should work?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2023, 06:38:42 pm »

Light aquifers need a very high surface area of aquifer filling a very small volume, but they can be made to work.

One way is to have a cycled release tied to a pressure plate, such that water is released in occasional spurts. That way you still get bursts of mist but don't need constant high-volume flow.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2023, 12:06:58 am »

For a light aquifer you need more surface area, so I tend to make a fractal of mineshafts horizontally the light aquifer (especially if the aquifer levels happen to be full of useful mineable minerals!) and then have a floodgate lower down for shutting off the water from the aquifer fractal if a crown manages to get sucked into a whirlpool or something (my well-cistern floor always seems to be full of such surprisingly well made stuff!).
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!
Pages: 1 [2]