Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: v0.50's new Difficulty Settings  (Read 3201 times)

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
v0.50's new Difficulty Settings
« on: January 22, 2023, 06:22:15 pm »

I noticed that when embarking in a location, we are now prompted with a means of changing the difficulty of our fort:

Enemies: "Off" "Normal" "Hard"
Economy: "Normal" "Hard"

Does anyone know how the economy difficulty affects the game?  I find it odd that a fort can now temporarily alter the laws of the world for its duration, instead of the world influencing the fort with its laws, since the update. As far as I know, the difficulty of a fort used to be based only on the location of the embarkment. What I want to know now is how these new settings can impact future playthroughs in both modes.

Assuming that crafted goods are worth less in "Hard" economics difficulty, will those object's values persist in future playthroughs?
For example, in Adventure mode, if I grab an axe made in a fort whose economics difficulty was set to "Normal", then grab an identical axe made in a fort whose economics difficulty was "Hard", will these two axes have the same value?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 06:35:29 pm by Lexyvil »
My post ends here.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: v0.50's new Difficulty Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 06:42:22 pm »

You can also go into "custom" settings to see what these things actually change. It's mostly stuff like invasion thresholds, or required room values for guilds/temples.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 08:11:34 pm »

Annoying that you have to set these every time you start a new fortress. I have a difficulty setting that I like to play at and used to be able to set it once and never worry about it again. It was admittedly harder for new players to get at as a lot of triggers were in the raws, so an easier menu is certainly welcome, but having the original flexibility and functionality removed is frustrating.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 09:49:48 pm »

You can also go into "custom" settings to see what these things actually change. It's mostly stuff like invasion thresholds, or required room values for guilds/temples.

Right, so in terms of the original question, not really anything that affects the larger world, except insofar as your neighbors become aware of your presence earlier or later than they otherwise would.

Assuming that crafted goods are worth less in "Hard" economics difficulty, will those object's values persist in future playthroughs?
For example, in Adventure mode, if I grab an axe made in a fort whose economics difficulty was set to "Normal", then grab an identical axe made in a fort whose economics difficulty was "Hard", will these two axes have the same value?

So no. The axe won't have a different value. You might have a temple that's less valuable than what would be considered a temple at another site, but since you can't exactly pick one up and carry it away, that's not really relevant to an adventurer.