Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Greaves and boots?  (Read 2176 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Greaves and boots?
« on: January 16, 2023, 07:07:46 pm »

Do greaves make boots redundant? I have tried to equip dwarves with both (using both high and low boots), and they never seem to wear the boots when they have greaves. The wiki is not clear on whether or not they are compatible.
Soaplent green is goblins!

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greaves and boots?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 07:39:32 pm »

I also have this problem with dwarfs not wearing boots.  I don't think it has anything to do with greaves, I think it is more that metal armour can be worn over clothing, except for boots which seem to clash with shoes. 

If you really want to test if greaves are incompatible with boots, make a custom uniform with both and select "replace clothing".  I hate the military menus so I accept that my steel armoured dwarfs will walk around in silk shoes.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 09:24:41 pm »

Hm yeah that does seem to be an issue with shoes overriding boots. Not sure if I want to go with replace clothing though since having clothing under the other armor might be handy...

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 04:49:56 am »

Uniforms are... eclectic.
I've found that while I only have to assign gauntlets and socks once in a uniform and a dwarf will then happily wear two of each, if I want them to wear two high boots or gloves, I have to assign two of each.

And an Edit Uniform button is currently one of my most desired UI improvements. Having to make a new uniform from scratch every time I want to make a change is infuriating.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 07:24:21 am »

Greaves don't conflict with boots, but they do conflict with leggings.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 03:43:06 pm »

For boots the problem is usually that dwarves get messed up about socks and shoes and how they mesh with boots. Best to go with "uniform replaces clothing".

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2023, 04:28:24 pm »

Yeah it was the shoes thing. I found that a kind of clunky workaround to the issue is to equip them to a "replaces clothes" equip set, then if you want clothes and armor reassign them to an "over clothes" set and they pick up other clothes while keeping the boots.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2023, 05:53:02 pm »

Just get your dwarves to have two amputated legs, and crutches. Boots problem solved.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479