Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I not look like a thief?  (Read 533 times)

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I not look like a thief?
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:10:00 am »

So I'm trying out Adventure mode for the first time, and after a couple of false starts, I get a human character to complete a quest and return to town.

I dutifully follow the wiki's instructions on selling my loot:  I Offer it to the shopkeeper and ask for 1000 coins in cash.  The screen tells me that the shopkeeper now owes me 1000 coins.  I find about 800 coins lying around the shop (a pile of 500, a pile of 200, and change) so I pick them up.

At which point, the members of my party all turn on me (starting, embarrassingly, with the drunk).  The swordsman kills me in one shot.

What did I do wrong?  It said right there that I was owed 1000 coins, and I only took about 800.  I'm not a thief!

[ December 18, 2006: Message edited by: Ookpik ]

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: How do I not look like a thief?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 06:59:00 am »

If there's a $ symbol on both sides of the object, the store owes that object, and you did not buy it yet. Also, once you turn criminal, you are a criminal for life -- no one will ever talk to you again. Which is very odd, because everyone seems to have some sort of telepathy; even characters on the opposite side of the world map will hate you!

[Grab coins from the table, NOT the chest. The coins will jump from the chest (and store ownership) to the table, waiting to be picked up by you, depending on what the store owes you. Also, be VERY careful about the buy /sell commands -- one time i sold a masterpeice ruby idol i found in an old fort for... 1 copper peice.]

FYI, the only thing worth stealing are masterpeice weaponry and usable masterpeice armor.

[ December 18, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 07:33:00 am »

Actually, I've noticed that just because one nation hates you, doesn't mean another one won't. So you should just immigrate to a different nation. (It can still be one of the same race as you)

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 11:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>If there's a $ symbol on both sides of the object, the store owes that object, and you did not buy it yet.</STRONG>

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm assuming "owes" here is a typo for "owns"?  Maybe that's the same typo my brain made last night  :)

Off to start a new adventurer while waiting for the next bugfix release...

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.