Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: night tine combat  (Read 920 times)

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
night tine combat
« on: December 18, 2006, 12:42:00 am »

ok so i decided to go on a killing spree with one of my adventure guys. yea i basically wipedout the first town with no problem at all. then when i moved on to the second town it was nighttime again. i was sneaking around and then   some mace dude saw me so i tried to run out of sight. so i couldnt see him anymore so i tried to hide. it said someone else could see me! do humans have really good night-vision or something? orwas it that somehow they where massively powered up? im not sure how the combat works in this game.. cause basically that guy was like ultra mighty perfectly agile and super tough but he got owned in a matter of seconds

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: night tine combat
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 04:00:00 pm »

ok this time not even fair! ultra mighty perfectly agile superelvenly tough grand master swordsman, legendary wrestler, legendary ambusher, and basically everything else proficient. i got killed by some human swordsman after destroying an entire town just before that!. one swordsman!!!and he saw me like 3 spaces before i got to him, he wasnt even a swordsmaster

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 02:01:00 am »

Yeah, he probably got a nice clean hit in there. What you should do next time is to go to train your armor and shield to legendary.

Go to a ruin. Set your combat to 'close combat'. Run and gather a few undead within range then sit on the ground. The undead will move a lot faster than you and get in a few hits. Since you are a legendary wrestler you should have decent shield/armor skills already so nothing should get through. Also, the undead attack a lot, and your skills increase very quickly. In 10 minutes you can have extremely high stats. Now all you need is all exceptional iron armor, shield and weapon. Then I garuentee you wont die from cheap shots like that. Enemies hardly get through your defenses.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 06:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by skeightmachine:
Now all you need is all exceptional iron armor, shield and weapon.

Better yet, start a dwarf fortress and manufacture a complete set of steel armor and weaponry (some for melee -- some for throwing   :D

[Note though, that if you play as only a human or elf, you wont be able to use the armor -- just the weaponry will be useable by you.]

* To do this, find a copper or copper/tin vien as close to the lava as possible, then move the desired dwarf you want to achive legendary status in armor/weapon smithing in next door (really, make a 3x3 bedroom right there) and then order up a repeat order of copper /bronze bars to turn into piles of equipment. Of what, who cares -- just keep producing bars and items until your metalsmith can produce + or * quality or better reliably. THEN make the steel items for your soon to be adventure dwarf.

[ December 23, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 01:23:00 pm »

thats ok... i think i learned my lesson... both  of them had legendary stats... and lsoing two of them after destroying two human towns is ok... i just dont think i will go for 'human massacre' anymore... do human towns repopulate? if they dont... some fortresses might be going without trade for awhile... yeah... those crazy humans spotting a legendary ambusher... not even fair... o well. ill try out the armor just for kicks.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 11:39:00 pm »

I don't think so. If you get your drunks killed and return quite a while later they don't come back. Same goes for when I slaughtered 6 towns. When I came back 6 months later as a new char they were still ghost towns.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 11:31:00 pm »

Do the various weapon skills not increase defense at all?  One of the IRL benefits of the sword over other weapons is that it can not only attack, but defend well.  Spears aren't great at defense if they get past the initial long reach, maces, hammers, and axes are heavy and stubby enough that after a swing there's huge openings, but a sword is a balanced offensive/defensive weapons... skill in it should keep you safe from attacks as well as being able to use it to kill...

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 01:35:00 am »

two-handed axe is actually very good in defence even in close combat.   :)

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 07:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by skeightmachine:
<STRONG>... Go to a ruin. Set your combat to 'close combat'. Run and gather a few undead within range then sit on the ground... </STRONG>

Should've read this before posting in the other thread, we came to the same conclusion about training Shield User.  Really neutralizes every threat, particularily those arrows.

Syreal

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Magma Bather
    • View Profile
    • Syreal Games
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 10:31:00 am »

quote:
two-handed axe is actually very good in defence even in close combat.

Lol. I use a great axe, and a shield! There's no noticeable difference for me, things still get propelled into walls and blow apart. The nice thing is that you don't put everything that you pick up in your free hand when you already have a shield in it. I probably cleared out half of a goblin fortress before I realized I had coins in my left hand. X_X

You die in the heat.