Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Children in the atom smasher  (Read 629 times)

Homo carbonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Children in the atom smasher
« on: January 23, 2023, 11:58:03 am »

I can never pull the lever on my atom smasher when I want to because a group of dear children have decided that the enormous pile of decomposing goblin viscera accumulating therein is the ideal playground. Whenever it's full of arms and heads, there they are, playing make-believe in the bits. Is there anything I can do keep them out? My current strategy of locking them in until they get hungry so they leave at once when the door opens is getting tedious.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Children in the atom smasher
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 11:59:45 am »

Why is the business end of the atom smasher accessible in the first place?

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 12:09:38 pm »

If you pull it at least once, the problem will disappear... Just sayin'
Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 12:38:13 pm »

Yeah, seems there's a problem in your AS design, it should not be accessible from the bottom part. To remove the kids, just restrict the area and/or burrow the kids outside.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 01:13:00 pm »

The kids are there because you let them haul items to the dump zone. When they finish hauling, they stay on the same spot and play for a very long time.

You can give them a big stockpile relocation job to lure them somewhere else, or disable refuse hauling for children.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Homo carbonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 03:12:01 pm »

Of course, the answer is to make it on two levels. It should have been obvious.

I have tried restricting the area and assigning them to a burrow but they still don't leave. The only thing that can tear them away from their dead goblin friends is hunger.