Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sand changes to silty clay loam after cave in  (Read 554 times)

Hiro Protagonist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Sand changes to silty clay loam after cave in
« on: January 16, 2023, 10:41:31 am »

I'm working on a "lost civilization" fortress right now for fun, and I'm building everything on top of the magma sea. Nothing crazy, fort is stabilized. Time to drop some sand down here and cover up my tracks. On the map, there are a quite a few soil layers of clay loam and whatnot. But in one corner of the map there's a layer of red sand on top of white sand, on top of another layer of silty clay loam. I'm not splitting biomes on this map, but the sand is only there in the bottom right quadrant. I setup and dropped some tiles of both types of sand (variety!), BOOM. And what do I find? It has transformed into Silty Clay Loam- useless.

So now I spend a few hours on Google, and learned how to use TileTypes and changelayer, and it's no good. I do changelayer SAND_WHITE and I get 'Invalid material - you must select a type of stone or gem or soil.' Hmm. Same with all other SAND_X varieties. Tried it on the clay loam layer and the sand layers, no good. If you can use TileTypes to make anything more specific that "SOIL" I'd sure love to know. I know there's a bug related to soil types changing, seems like to the lowest layer of soil on the map. So I tried dropping 2 and 3 height drops- "paint m soil" several layers high, so I get a sandwich of clay loam, sand, sand. Drops down, and all 3 layers are loam.

Is there any way to get sand where I want it? Read about ways with mud, floor fungus, furrow and get a random type, but that's pretty hit or miss. I really don't understand the "Invalid material" thing with changelayer. I checked the wiki for the raws- the name seems proper. I tried INORGANIC:SAND_WHITE, get a "no known material" error. Can anybody enlighten me here? Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 10:43:26 am by Hiro Protagonist »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Sand changes to silty clay loam after cave in
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 11:24:59 am »

I can't enlighten you on how to get your sand layer dropped.
But if all else fails, you could add the [SAND_SOIL] ..sorry I mean the [SOIL_SAND] tag to the silty clay loam raws, so you can use it as sand for your glassworks.

At least, I do think that is a raw change that does not require a world regen (just make sure to edit the save's raws, not the game raws)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 11:26:59 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Hiro Protagonist

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 03:05:09 pm »

Thanks for the idea- that's really not bad! I already used changelayer to make my world of adamantine, why not try some raws hacking as well? Haven't done anything more than reveal and the I-can't-play-without-it Manipulator (Labors interface) with DFHack before. Kind of fun!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 05:26:04 pm »

Heh, I now have my own case of random soil type.

I cut a tree. The palm tree growing next to it collapsed on itself. Now it is a single layer tree with a layer of silt on top of it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479