Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma flowing up through forge  (Read 2367 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Magma flowing up through forge
« on: January 10, 2023, 09:35:47 pm »

I have set up a starter magma forge 2 above the magma sea, with one otherwise empty layer of magma between the forge and the magma flow. However, shortly after I dug the channel, a 1-deep layer of magma flowed up through the hole. I drove the magma back with water pumped from a pond and built a magma forge with the forge part covering the hole, but the 1-layer-deep magma has now flowed up AGAIN despite that. Fortunately no dwarves were hurt, but it melted the bars in my adjacent magma smelter and leaves the magma forge with my only anvil basically inaccessible.

Is this a bug? And is there any way to work around it?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma flowing up through forge
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 09:10:29 am »

In the new version, magma workshops no longer have impassable tiles. That means that both magma and enemies can come up through the workshop tiles.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 09:26:27 am »

In the new version, magma workshops no longer have impassable tiles. That means that both magma and enemies can come up through the workshop tiles.

But it sounds like the magma was perfectly still until he built the forge above it, and then the forge pumped the magma up one level. This is strange.

Don't magma forges need to be built of magma-safe material?
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 09:31:14 am »

Magma shouldn't be going up unless it's pressurized by a screw pump or spawning as part of a magma tube.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 01:26:34 pm »

Yeah, look for a source of pressurized magma at the same or higher z-level as the magma forge.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 04:29:53 pm »

For clarification, this problem occurred both before and after a magma forge was placed. There were no screw pumps involved.
The magma tube idea might be something. There was a magma tube about 10 tiles away diagonally, and while there was not a direct connection, the Magma Flow under that *was* at a higher z level than the rock shelf the forge was built inside of.

The magma came and went kind of like tides, and I eventually managed to make an anvil when the "tide" was low to build another forge elsewhere.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 05:44:13 pm »

Your magma came and went like tides? Is your embark a reclaim of a site you abandoned earlier?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 06:44:09 pm »

No reclaim; entirely new site.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 09:22:49 pm »

the Magma Flow under that *was* at a higher z level than the rock shelf the forge was built inside of.

post screens of your setup, perhaps? it sounds like you had a curiously slow flow of pressurized magma. perhaps a kink in the system caused a disconnect between the original magma flooding and the eventual overpressure

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 09:39:05 pm »

Here is the screenshot I took early on. Each magma building has a hole under what used to be the blocked parts.
(I might not be able to get any more screenshots since I lost the fort just now to the gem wall spoilers, and I am not sure if reclaiming will be doable in that circumstance especially since the fort was in a dead-raising biome.)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 09:51:10 am »

For clarification, this problem occurred both before and after a magma forge was placed. There were no screw pumps involved.
The magma tube idea might be something. There was a magma tube about 10 tiles away diagonally, and while there was not a direct connection, the Magma Flow under that *was* at a higher z level than the rock shelf the forge was built inside of.

The magma came and went kind of like tides, and I eventually managed to make an anvil when the "tide" was low to build another forge elsewhere.
I've seen what you're describing before, in many other versions, even without a magma tube.  For me, it happens when the embark isn't completely, 100%, flat.
What happens is, if any magma anywhere on the embark is higher than or at the same level as your forge, you'll see this ebb-and-flow of magma trying to fluid-level itself out.
You've already found a solution, and that is to find a spot that is just above the highest point of magma across the entire embark.
Of course, other solutions like minecart-dumping a single tile of 7/7 magma up to the surface is always another option for almost any embark.  When you find what you've found, that ends up being pretty safe, because you can build the pickup-magma part of the minecart circuit pretty easily with constructed walls, adjacent magma and a magma safe floodgate/lever.

The root cause?  IIRC, It appears to be that the embark surface Z-level disparities/differences, if they are part of a biome edge/change, can cause both the SMR sea and the resulting magma above it to have different Z levels as well.  It's typically only 1 or 2 Z-levels off, from what I've seen.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 04:43:34 pm »

Still shouldn't be pressurized without a pump. Magma doesn't gain pressure from dropping z-levels.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?