Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Normal item damage  (Read 1348 times)

Shadowslasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Normal item damage
« on: September 01, 2007, 09:49:00 pm »

I've seen the wiki page for Weapon damage, but does it make a difference if I wack people with a zombie corpse/mud/a butterfly? (besides the speed loss for the first)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Normal item damage
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 01:13:00 am »

The damage calculations for improvised weapons and throwing are still a mystery. Epic character stats also tend to skew stuff a lot.

I once threw a masterwork iron greatax at an ettin and cut it in half.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »

quote:
I once threw a masterwork iron greatax at an ettin and cut it in half.

thats not right, you combined the ultra powerness of throwing with the uberness of masterwork and the supremeness of iron, no wonder the ettin was cut in half, in a real world scale, that would create a similar amount of damage to a laser cutter on butter...

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

What about when you throw a live worm at a jaguar and it smashes the head into the body? THATS weird.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »

A ninja could do it.
"It's unpossible!"

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »

as far as i can tell when you throw if its not a weapon it does the same damage regardless of what it is or its weight though heaver objects don't go as far, if its a weapon or ammo it does the same damage amount and type as if it were used normally.
so for a thrower small stones are your best option until you find some bolts or arrows since they're light, come in stacks and do good damage. normal weapons do good damage too but for a thrower speed is your best defense since even if all you have are small stones you can kill anything you can outrun (unless they also have a ranged attack but then your usually screwed regardless).

[ September 04, 2007: Message edited by: kuro_suna ]

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 02:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by kuro_suna:
<STRONG>normal weapons do good damage too but for a thrower speed is your best defense since even if all you have are small stones you can kill anything you can outrun (unless they also have a ranged attack but then your usually screwed regardless).</STRONG>

Speed is your second best defense; sneaking is the real first.  This is because you can throw a stone while sneaking and not get noticed even if your quarry doesn't immediately lose consciousness from the pain inflicted or die.  A parallel that is somewhat less interesting is that if your speed is high enough and, while sneaking, you move up to an enemy and kill (or incapacite IIRC) him in one stroke, you won't be spotted either, meaning you can play assassin *very* well if your skills and stats support it.

[ September 05, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 05:59:00 am »

I use coins. We just need ingame chat browser so i we can say "Here's my $0.02" Before tossing to copper coins to the enemy, severing a leg and his head.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 09:50:00 am »

Any way to put items into hands or armor where you want it? Or unequip? Because im thiking about making assasin...
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 07:43:00 pm »

You can unequip items you're wearing, but you can't pick a hand to put things in (be aware that unequipping items will put them into one of your hands, as well; should you want it in your pack you'll have to actually put it in there).  Best you can do for your hands is drop the item(s) being carried and pick them up later (being careful, of course, to have a hand free to hold onto it); you can't actually wield and unwield weapons or wear shields now, which is an unfortunate and slightly annoying interface issue but workable.
A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 10:00:00 pm »

iirc, if you 'remove' something from your backpack it goes into your hand. At one point I had a sword, a hammer, two shields, and 5-20 rocks in my hands.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »

My most recent bowman (Copnut Dragonfeast..  hoped to die a fitting death. Didn't.  :() was fighting ninja-style, using both a bow and a shortsword. Here's how I did it. At first, the bow was in the right hand (which isn't right, iirc), and I used it as it was. Then I got a bronze s/sword and decided to put that to use as well. I (p)ut the bow into the pack, and (r)emoved the sword from it. Now I had the sword in the right hand. Whenever I needed the bow, I just (r)emoved it from the pack, and shot away, since the bow was now in the left hand, and was the active weapon. Then I just (p)ut the bow back, and had the sword active again. I think you can do the same for any weapon combo. Unfortunately, that char was shot and killed by a kobold Master Thief when lying prone (charged) beside a fighting comrade, while putting the bow in the pack to join the fight.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India