Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a reliable way to have water buckets  (Read 1120 times)

Poldon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a reliable way to have water buckets
« on: January 24, 2023, 04:43:52 pm »

Or is there a way to get dwarves to fill water buckets for use in a water bucket reaction? I know usually people are more interested in emptying the buckets, but can water be stockpiled in any way?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a reliable way to have water buckets
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 06:10:11 pm »

I have found in my experiments with Ice Casting, that when the designated Pond area becomes filled with ice (no more empty space), it still generates a "fill pond" order, which is subject to job cancellation.  The net result is a bucket filled with water sitting next to my water supply.

Perhaps you could do something like this on purpose, where you designate filling ponds, but then somehow make the pond invalid?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Boochdizzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 06:29:49 pm »

I don't think that leaving full buckets of water sitting around is useful. I can't remember which wiki page or thread I read it on, but I read that water delivery jobs always start with filling a bucket, meaning they will dump any bucket full of water out in order to create an empty bucket so that they can then fill it with water.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 10:11:40 pm »

To my knowledge, an already-filled bucket of water is considered absolutely useless, which is why there's a script in DFHack just for removing the water from those buckets.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 12:09:42 am »

To my knowledge, an already-filled bucket of water is considered absolutely useless, which is why there's a script in DFHack just for removing the water from those buckets.

I am not totally convinced about that bug. No DFHack in my games, and yet my fort can cope with having three wooden buckets cycling through getting everyone a drink, even when half the fort are on bedrest in the hospital (Incident involving a Forgotten Beast and a cave-in, and due to a lack of ropes, we only have one traction bench, so it's taken a while for everyone to cycle through).
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 01:01:32 am »

A bucket with 10 Water in it isn't completely useless: it can be used to deposit 1/7 water depth in a pond.
I don't know what happens if the bucket has only 9 Water, though.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 01:12:41 am »

A bucket with 10 Water in it isn't completely useless: it can be used to deposit 1/7 water depth in a pond.
I don't know what happens if the bucket has only 9 Water, though.
But doesn't that hav the same problem, where when they take a fill pond job they don't look for a bucket of water, they look for a any bucket, dump any contents it has where it is, then fill it and dump that new water in the pond?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 08:15:14 am »

I can't say for sure.  The water-laden buckets were left sitting next to the water source, so if there was a quick "dump and refill" going on, I didn't see it.  All I saw is that a bucket with 10 water was taken from where it had been sitting on the cistern stairwell, and then was used by a dwarf to pour water onto a glacier to make an ice wall.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 10:41:22 am »

I am not totally convinced about that bug. No DFHack in my games, and yet my fort can cope with having three wooden buckets cycling through getting everyone a drink, even when half the fort are on bedrest in the hospital (Incident involving a Forgotten Beast and a cave-in, and due to a lack of ropes, we only have one traction bench, so it's taken a while for everyone to cycle through).

I've had the opposite observations in 0.47.05, where buckets with water in them are being ignored for water-related jobs. Not to the point of job cancellation spam, mind (I have a work order for buckets conditioned on the number of empty buckets), but a dwarf standing in my prison prefers to grab an empty from the primary stockpile, bring it to the well in the hospital, fill it, and bring it back to the prison instead of using the full leftover bucket from when the prisoner was "released" while someone was fetching water.

Even if water-filled buckets were recently modified to be valid for tasks involving water, they're still problematic for non-water jobs. For instance, I'm almost certain the "Make Lye" job wants a specifically-empty bucket, where even a glob of 1 water will make the object ineligible for the reaction.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.