Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Real Time / slower settings for game speed  (Read 350 times)

hirsute_offender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Real Time / slower settings for game speed
« on: December 08, 2022, 08:19:14 am »

Would be amazing if we could have a real time setting that allowed for a slower paced gameplay

every time i play df i feel like units on the map zip by way too quickly. and simply lowering the FPS only creates a bunch of other issues in terms of UX

Yes, a lot of things would need to be adjusted. For example, if the dwarves were to eat 2/3 times a day, you would need food and water to have a lot more units.

It would take months for things to happen (attacking armies, visitors, etc...)

Even digging a home in the mountainside would take much more effort.

You could still adjust some things so things are not incredibly tedious but the general idea is you could leave a fortress running on your home server 24/7 and realistically you could check it once a day to give orders and check on things

once you have that, you could have a setting to adjust the global speed (x2, x10 etc)

thank you for considering this

Resmisal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real Time / slower settings for game speed
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 07:22:48 pm »

I've been thinking about the same thing for a while and asked myself how to code this into the file. What's better, in-game minutes take in-real seconds, or hours fly by in seconds? Rendering 24 minutes or 24 seconds for every in-game day, you'll sit for days* or hours**, respectively, to complete a dwarven year.

*Precisely, 5 days, 14 hours and 24 minutes and lots of coffee and green tea.
**Precisely, 2 hours, 14 minutes, and 24 seconds.

Edit: I'm still new to forums.