Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Updating The Steam Version?  (Read 1371 times)

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Updating The Steam Version?
« on: December 19, 2022, 05:20:41 pm »

Hello everyone! I have a quick question for you. I usually turn Auto update off because I don't want my saves to get all weird. With that said, do you think its safe to update to 50.03 from the initial launch version? I am currently playing a Fort right now and was thinking of waiting until I am done with it to update, that is, if everyone thinks that is the right move or can I update now and continue my current game?

Thank you.
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Updating The Steam Version?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 05:37:11 pm »

If you're worried, just copy the folder somewhere else and play from there. It's only 240 MB. There's been no issues so far, but it's not unknown for an update to accidentally introduce fatal save corruption (only recall it occuring once before).

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 05:44:08 pm »

Thats exactly what I did! I'll let you know how it goes! Thank you.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 07:37:03 pm »

Generally the way updates work is that Toady will add a trigger for old saves which switches on the new functionality/removes the bug whatever if it's possible. (It wasn't with some of the save corruption in 50.01/02, corrupted saves were beyond saving).

Actual new features (like your werewolf graphics in 50.03) aren't available until a new save.
(That said, I don't know for sure he didn't find a way to add the werewolf graphics mid-save. Just mentioning how stuff worked in the past).

Only the massive updates (47.05 - 50.01) have the potential to not be save compatible at all.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 07:38:51 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 08:36:05 pm »

seems to be working good so far. Thank you.

BlackSmokeDMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 07:56:56 am »

Hello everyone! I have a quick question for you. I usually turn Auto update off because I don't want my saves to get all weird. With that said, do you think its safe to update to 50.03 from the initial launch version? I am currently playing a Fort right now and was thinking of waiting until I am done with it to update, that is, if everyone thinks that is the right move or can I update now and continue my current game?

Thank you.

How do you turn auto-updates off in Steam? Do you mean you just stay in "offline" mode?

As I'm pretty sure Steam removed all "official" ways of not updating automatically like 5+ years ago. Usually the only workarounds these days are the offline mode, or devs that provide the old versions in the beta channels via right clicking on the game in the Steam Library.

If you are talking about the standard options presented in Steam, none of those are "do not auto-update", they are all variations of "how fast should it auto update?"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 08:08:37 am »

Dwarf Fortress works perfectly well outside of Steam. Can just copy it someplace else, it's essentially exactly the same as the Itch.io version.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 11:39:15 am »

Thank you.

How do you turn auto-updates off in Steam? Do you mean you just stay in "offline" mode?

As I'm pretty sure Steam removed all "official" ways of not updating automatically like 5+ years ago. Usually the only workarounds these days are the offline mode, or devs that provide the old versions in the beta channels via right clicking on the game in the Steam Library.

If you are talking about the standard options presented in Steam, none of those are "do not auto-update", they are all variations of "how fast should it auto update?"

What I do is go into Settings / Downloads / Download Restrictions and set it to only update at some crazy time that you will never be online haha. I use that method to keep 7 Days to Die from updating. It will queue the download but wont download anything until the desired time. ;D

BlackSmokeDMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2022, 12:26:40 pm »

Thank you.

What I do is go into Settings / Downloads / Download Restrictions and set it to only update at some crazy time that you will never be online haha. I use that method to keep 7 Days to Die from updating. It will queue the download but wont download anything until the desired time. ;D

Ah, a nice workaround. Just doesn't work if you leave your pc on at all times, lol. (Or I suppose setup some router rules to turn off internet access for that computer at that time as well)

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2022, 12:31:43 pm »

Thank you.

Ah, a nice workaround. Just doesn't work if you leave your pc on at all times, lol. (Or I suppose setup some router rules to turn off internet access for that computer at that time as well)

Just log out of steam when you are sleeping or not at home and log back in when you wake up/back at home. I'll be honest, 90% of the time I'm in offline mode anyway but it is a nice work around if you wanted to log in.

I had to figure out this little trick when I lived in a cabin in the mountains in TN. I had satellite internet, which was capped, it was only uncapped from 12am-4am or something like that. So I set it up that way so I could leave my computer on to update/download games that would otherwise go WAY over my cap lol. Now I use it to keep certain games from updating haha.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 12:37:46 pm by TDSS02 »