Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to mod music and sound?  (Read 979 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible to mod music and sound?
« on: December 19, 2022, 12:41:03 pm »

Is it possible to mod music and sound?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Is it possible to mod music and sound?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 12:54:34 pm »

If it is, I haven't seen anyone talk about it. But I haven't seen anyone talk about not being able to do it either.

PTW

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 01:34:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can! At the very least, I've played mods that replace the music in the past. AFAIK, you just need to make sure the replacement song has the exact same name and file type as the original, and is in the right place. It's probably way more complicated now that there's more than just two songs in the game, but considering the sound files are all still sitting out in the open instead of bundled inside the executable I don't think the basic principle of how it loads music has changed.

I don't think you can upload a new soundtrack to the steam workshop, though, since it doesn't involve the raws in any way. The most you can probably do is move things around on your own computer for your own enjoyment.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 03:59:35 pm »

Check out the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\data\vanilla\vanilla_music
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Trainzack

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is, and we are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 02:15:13 am »

You can replace the existing .ogg files with different ones. That has to be performed manually and isn't actually supported by the game. You can also change some of the definitions of when certain musical cues are played, since those are defined in raw files. However, you can't add new music or sounds other than replacing what's already there.