Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to assign Civilian Burrow (Steam)  (Read 3155 times)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
How to assign Civilian Burrow (Steam)
« on: December 09, 2022, 02:17:00 pm »

In classic you could assign all civilians to a burrow. This was useful for getting everyone inside during a siege. Is there a way to do this in the steam version? I haven't been able to found a way.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to assign Civilian Burrow (Steam)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 02:22:13 pm »

Presently, no. In the next patch, hopefully.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 01:10:42 am »

Pah I just came to query a similar thing.
you can individual add all the dwarfs to a burrow, but they don't appear to drop an existing job.
lost a bunch of dwarfs who were picking fruit when a siege started.
there appears to be no way to get them back inside a safe area, can't even cancel the task from the tasks screen.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 03:20:07 am »

Pah I just came to query a similar thing.
you can individual add all the dwarfs to a burrow, but they don't appear to drop an existing job.
lost a bunch of dwarfs who were picking fruit when a siege started.
there appears to be no way to get them back inside a safe area, can't even cancel the task from the tasks screen.

Technically that is the same way burrows worked in previous DF. The thing that's missing in steam DF is civilian alerts attached to burrows.

zeves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 08:03:18 am »

just give all 200 dwarves a squad. :P

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 08:48:21 pm »

Can't have civilians caught out during a siege if there aren't any civilians.

<roll_safe_urist.jpg>
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 11:43:22 pm »

Can't have civilians caught out during a siege if there aren't any civilians.

<roll_safe_urist.jpg>
That's literally my strategy, Every dwarf joins a squad when they show up, half the squads are "training" as wrestlers any given month- if something goes wrong, I send *all* my dwarves to punch its face in, outside werebeasts, dragons, and necromancers it's fairly effective.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 03:17:48 am »

Just put all your dwarves into army. They do not war uniforms when They're off duty, but new squad interface allows you to send them all for training when fun starts.

They will cancel whatever They're doing and rush to barracks.

Then just have a door or hatch. I have lavers close to barracks, so when my pullers come They're released from duty just to lock fort.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 12:39:06 pm »

I made a burrow and assigned all dwarves to the burrow one by one, so I guess that is one way, seems to be working in terms of keeping everyone away from the dragon outside that can't seem to find the entrance.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 08:01:16 pm »

I made a burrow and assigned all dwarves to the burrow one by one, so I guess that is one way, seems to be working in terms of keeping everyone away from the dragon outside that can't seem to find the entrance.

I've heard that dwarves will ignore the burrow to fish if you leave the labor on. (Reason given that the fishing job is considered to start where the dwarf is standing, not where the fish are.) It's not as good as civilian alerts where dwarves were forced back into the burrow if they tried to leave (to join a conflict, etc.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 08:02:54 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 11:39:17 am »

You wanna work a bit smarter than that and start setting up your fishing zones in always safe places like so

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2022, 07:55:11 am »

In classic you could assign all civilians to a burrow. This was useful for getting everyone inside during a siege. Is there a way to do this in the steam version? I haven't been able to found a way.

I discovered that the Steam-versions allows you to get anybody inside, but you don't use burrows for that anymore.

In labor you change outside jobs, fishing, plant gathering, to nobody does this.

Also in labor there's settings for jobs like clean floor, pick up your dead, reload traps etc. You can change all those things to "don't do during invasion".

It's a few more clicks than the burrows but I think the new system is superior anyway. I haven't really wrapped my head around the possibilities in it, but it seems like it's much, much more subtle than the burrows-way of doing it.

Like if your plant gathering is in the way of the invasion but the fishing is on the other side of the map, you probably could be able to keep fishing during invasions and just stop the plant gathering.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2022, 10:40:07 pm »

In case anyone is curious, civilian alerts do still exist within the game - it's just that there's currently no user interface from which to configure them.

Once DFHack is sufficiently updated so that it works with the Steam version (which is still a long ways off), it will be possible to manage them via custom scripts.
(as of today, the Lua console is the only thing that's "functional", but that was sufficient for me to confirm that the Civilian Alert data structures still exist and are also obeyed)
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2022, 10:47:08 am »

It's the random hauling of items that usually gets my dwarves killed on the surface.  I just re-forbid everything whenever I notice some of them up there, and that usually keeps them inside (in addition to restricting surface jobs).  Migrants arriving, dying, and dropping their gear sets off the unfortunate chain reaction.

Kuria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2022, 01:53:50 pm »

They say there's a bug with burrows, but I haven't encountered it yet. I also assign all dwarves to a burrow and click the two buttons and it just works like in vanilla. which is to say sometimes a bit slowly.