Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can swords swings hit multiple people?  (Read 522 times)

Yerland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can swords swings hit multiple people?
« on: December 16, 2022, 12:29:24 am »

were lizard showed up in my tavern, luckily armored swordsdwarf was nearby to put it down immediately. But then the dwarf stabbed a bard standing adjacent who hadn't participated in the fight at all? My best guess is the same attack that killed the werebeast happened to kill the other bard.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can swords swings hit multiple people?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 01:12:35 am »

were lizard showed up in my tavern, luckily armored swordsdwarf was nearby to put it down immediately. But then the dwarf stabbed a bard standing adjacent who hadn't participated in the fight at all? My best guess is the same attack that killed the werebeast happened to kill the other bard.
It's possible that the Bard was the werelizard's brother and he moved to attack the swordguy (usually that only happens if the were turns back just before the military cut him down, but don't know the exact thought process there).

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 08:22:11 am »

I've never seen that happen in adv mode, also while fighting and being surrounded in all 9 squares around the adventurer.

So I don't think it can happens. As far as I can tell combat works entirely the same way in adv mode.

I think the dwarf attacked the bard on purpose, but IDK why. Maybe the bard is from the same place as the werebeast, so there's some sort of loyalty thing going on?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 06:34:22 pm »

It says on the wiki that dwarves in martial trances will attack neutrals, though I'm not sure what's considered a neutral.

Martial Trance: When a single dwarf is being attacked by more than one enemy, it will fall into this state and supposedly focus better. Toady One has said: You have to be a dwarf [to be able to get the martial trance]. It improves all kinds of combat rolls and modifiers (but no direct damage bonus -- 'enraged' does that). Dwarves in this state will seek fights with enemy or neutral creatures.

This isn't mentioned on the martial trance page itself, so I'm not sure if it's accurate.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?