Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raw files no longer copied to save folder anymore  (Read 655 times)

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raw files no longer copied to save folder anymore
« on: December 31, 2022, 08:08:03 am »

Am I the only one who is really bothered by this ?
The new system is really a huge improvement for most players I think, since you no longer have to create multiple versions of the game for each big mod you have.

Yet I miss the ability to quickly edit the raw files anytimes you need to. I guess you can still do it, but changes would affect every other saves which use the same file so it sounds like a terrible idea.
Moreover, I was looking forward to launch a bloodline game with some friends and playing a modded game seems really tedious. You'd need everybody to have the exact same mod list in the exact same version in order for everything to work, which sounds like a massive headache, especially if mods get updated during the game.

I don't know, maybe i'm dumb and there is a simple workaround for all of this. What do you folks think about this change ?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raw files no longer copied to save folder anymore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 01:32:59 pm »

You could probably put all your mods in one single mod/raw folder and distribute that mod only for the succession game? I'm looking for a workable solution too for succession games.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 03:48:30 pm »

I think it's a change to which older player will have to adjust, but I don't think it makes anything more difficult or annoying.

For example, Tarn and Sal (just to use two fantasy-sounding names) decide on a host of mods they like for a succession game, and Tarn goes first.
Used to be, Tarn would make sure the save he sent Sal had the mods applied to the raws in the save folder. You know that drill.
Now they're playing v50, so Tarn takes the mods they're going to use, and makes a copy of those mods, editing the info files so the mods have an identifier, allowing both of them to know at a glance whether the right mods are loaded or not. AFAIK, load order doesn't matter, as long as the mods don't overlap the objects they affect.
Tarn sends the unique mod(s) along with the save file, so Sal can install the bloodline game's mod(s) when starting her leg of the game. They're both using the same exact mods without any risk of the mods updating and splitting their experience.

Or, Tarn can combine all of the mods they're going to share for this game into one new mod. No harder than combining mods in v47. In games like Conan Exiles this is commonplace, where a server will amalgamize and customize some mods for a server mod that probably holds no interest for anyone not on the server. In DFv50, you can reduce a dozen mods to one single mod for a similar purpose, and without any real increase in tedium.

The biggest drawback I can think of is that instead of saying, "put this in your saves folder and start playing," which is insanely easy, you have to tell all following players to, "put this in your saves folder, then install this game's mod I put on the workshop." I call that a small price to pay for reducing mod complexity, while increasing mod compatibility and wieldiness.

caveat: I haven't done this and tested this, so there might be a couple additional steps involved, especially when it comes to manipulating your loaded mods folder contents, like maybe you have to create a dummy world with the new mod installed, just to get it loaded before you load the shared save, IDK, but it's doable and not that much of a hassle.

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 03:56:13 pm »

The biggest drawback I can think of is that instead of saying, "put this in your saves folder and start playing," which is insanely easy, you have to tell all following players to, "put this in your saves folder, then install this game's mod I put on the workshop." I call that a small price to pay for reducing mod complexity, while increasing mod compatibility and wieldiness.

Well you could keep the current system but still have a copy of the raw files in every saves. It wouldn't increase folder size by that much.
But yeah, having everything in a single mod folder looks like the best option right now. Hope it works properly.