Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the workaround to location hauling being low priority? (0.50.2)  (Read 939 times)

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It seems that hauling jobs related to locations are extremely low priority. Dwarves would rather haul stones to a stockpile than buckets to a hospital. This in and of itself isn't a huge problem, since dwarves will still use items out of a stockpile for most location-related tasks. However, the fact that all of the related items are tagged for a task, and thus rendered unusable, is a huge issue. I had a carpenter's workshop making buckets on repeat and I still had dwarves dying of thirst in the hospital. What exactly is the workaround for this issue?
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Manadras

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What is the workaround to location hauling being low priority? (0.50.2)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 05:17:09 pm »

Make custom labor profiles for regular hauling (items, furniture, wood, etc) and one for stone hauling. Disable stone hauling. Also temporarily disable stone hauling by setting stone stockpile()s to receive only from links (with nothing linked).

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 05:26:33 pm »

When my forts started generating a lot of hauling jobs on the previous versions, I'd separate stone/wood hauling to a different labour category, that might work for this one as well. I often also separate food/refuse/corpse hauling, for miasma management reasons.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 08:09:44 pm »

I usually don't bother making a stone stockpile.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 10:00:50 pm »

If it's a high priority job, give it to someone who doesn't have other hauling on their list of jobs. You can even cancel everything else they do except priority hauling, if that's your bailiwick.

I often don't actually worry too much about stuff being moved, it will be moved eventually.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 10:31:03 pm »

just chiming in to agree that this behavior has changed. buckets were a non-issue before, basically craft them and forgettaboutit, but as described in OP the priority has changed such that other jobs are prioritized.

there is no way in hell I will give up the utility of stockpiles, just to account for this . . especially in early fortresses even plant gathering will result in tons of food hauling labors that overwrite the bucket assignment.