Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tradable items that would offend elves should be obviously marked.  (Read 318 times)

PetMudstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned Fool
    • View Profile

I like the mechanic where elves get offended when you try to trade items that use wood and dead animal products. It's quite flavorful. However, it also gets quite tedious.

The main issue in my experience has been with decorated items. While items made out of wood or animal products are obvious, decorated items only have symbols saying that they are decorated without any indicator of what they are decorated with. Miss a single offending item as well and you ruin all chances of trading with elves for that season. I have legitimately save-scummed because I would inevitably accidentally pick a random pick that was decorated with shell or something and the elves would get indignant and leave.

I believe this would be alleviated by highlighting offensive goods a particular color much like how items with export bans are highlighted. Furthermore, it would be nice if there was a confirmation prompt if you were trying to sell something that the elves would get angry at that also let you unmark all the offending items.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Tradable items that would offend elves should be obviously marked.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 06:07:27 pm »

There's also a bug where wool is considered a dead animal product.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PetMudstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Damned Fool
    • View Profile
Re: Tradable items that would offend elves should be obviously marked.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 12:46:33 am »

...That would explain why the elves kept getting angry even when I made super sure to not trade them anything bad. I didn't pay any mind to the random wool clothing I was trading away.

I do suppose it makes sense though. It used to be on an animal and that collection of hairs is therefore no longer alive. :P