Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Real Time mod?  (Read 1079 times)

hirsute_offender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Real Time mod?
« on: December 08, 2022, 07:02:32 am »

Is there a mod that changes the speed of the different elements of the game to make it more "real time"? I would love for the characters to move more slowly but also day/night to happen more gradually

a perfect mod would let you change the ratios too to get different speeds

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real Time mod?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 07:08:50 am »

Light/Darkness only really exists in classic adventure mode which deals with each day in real time from a first person perspective, as dwarf fortresses are content dependent on the seasons for trade and other civilized activities (when to queue raids etc) a real time mode would make gameplay very long to the habits that dwarves typically only eat/drink once a month and greatly interfere with the timing (ei - speedrunning setting up the fort in the first year).

However all dwarves are armed even in the steam version with perfect darksight capabilities, so if a light/dark engine was installed into fortress mode rather than pernament daylight, they'd still be able to operate just fine. But its completely out of the scope of modders.

Try the suggestions forum.

hirsute_offender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 08:11:45 am »

Light/Darkness only really exists in classic adventure mode which deals with each day in real time from a first person perspective, as dwarf fortresses are content dependent on the seasons for trade and other civilized activities (when to queue raids etc) a real time mode would make gameplay very long to the habits that dwarves typically only eat/drink once a month and greatly interfere with the timing (ei - speedrunning setting up the fort in the first year).

However all dwarves are armed even in the steam version with perfect darksight capabilities, so if a light/dark engine was installed into fortress mode rather than pernament daylight, they'd still be able to operate just fine. But its completely out of the scope of modders.

Try the suggestions forum.

i understand you would need to adjust a lot of variables in order to make things run smoothly. but the idea of a real life dwarf fortress running 24/7 on a home computer like a tamagotchi is too good. thank you

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 07:20:49 pm »

There's a setting that can speed up/speed down the game:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Frames_per_second#:~:text=By%20default%2C%20the%20framerate%20is,result%20of%20CPU%20speed%20limits.

It's in the file "init_default.txt".

By default it's 100 FPS which means 100 ticks per second for the game actually, as each tick requires a frame.
If you set it at 0, it will be uncapped and the game will run as fast as your computer can handle it.
If you set it to 1, it will be only 1 ticker per second so the game will become too slow to be played.

You can play with the numbers about 30-80 to see how fast you like your game to run.

P.S. BTW in classic DF you could use  "Alt =" to increase the FPS cap and "Alt -" to decrease it. I haven't tried it in steam version yet.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2022, 07:29:34 pm »

It's in the file "init_default.txt".
In version 50.0x you can change this on the fly from ESC->Settings->Game (I think the tab is Game, it might hav some other name).
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Hero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 07:34:21 am »

P.S. BTW in classic DF you could use  "Alt =" to increase the FPS cap and "Alt -" to decrease it. I haven't tried it in steam version yet.

Still works. One of the few old keyboard shortcuts that hasn't been either removed or changed.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 07:52:24 am »

Still works. One of the few old keyboard shortcuts that hasn't been either removed or changed.
don't let toady know he missed it!
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.