Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam version incredibly slow?  (Read 900 times)

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
Steam version incredibly slow?
« on: December 18, 2022, 06:33:04 am »

I really loved how smooth classic runs on my trash laptop, but it seems to have the laggiest controls and be all-round slow on it. Any clue what I can do about that? I am on Linux and running it through proton, so I imagine that can't be helping it, but surely that wouldn't cause it to be that bad?

I'm tempted to switch back to classic until they release a native Linux version and maybe release the ASCII version too, hopefully it's a bit better by then.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam version incredibly slow?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 08:00:00 am »

just wait for classic and dfhack. the new UI is somewhat of a burden for those of us playing on sh*t computers. it appears to me that the interface is an overlaid feature, not a replacement, and thus represents an entirely new consumer of our precious resources while the same old game chugs along underneath. i may be wrong tho

but it would explain the disconnect between keypress and registration that never existed before, and general mouse lag

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Steam version incredibly slow?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2022, 09:17:10 am »

There are reports of people's GPUs not working properly with the Steam version, forcing the CPU to do extra work.

Does reducing the multi-level view to 1-2 layers help at all?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?