Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam: Stocks screen badly need improvement  (Read 1234 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steam: Stocks screen badly need improvement
« on: December 15, 2022, 07:03:43 am »

So I used to use the z-screen to unforbid forbidden stuff like weapons left by dead non-citizens and to dump junk like fruit puts and xxitemsxx.

This has become difficult now. All objects are listed individually and for some reason you can only scroll at a snail's pace. So it takes forever to scroll down through 635 pear pits to find where the 263 bayberry seeds start to dump them all.

The lists of items also get super long. For instance gloves get broken up in a gazilion categories due to wombat leather gloves get their own category and dog leather gloves also get their own category. So for a lot of these different leather type gloves I only have 1 or 2 of them in the fort, and that means 2 wombat leather gloves get a headline so they take up 3 lines instead of 2 and so on. That makes the list significanly longer, as like 1/3 of it is headlines for categories containing just a few items.

I suggest:

-Increase the scrolling speed. This is the easy fix I guess.
-Make the categories more general. For me, it would be better just with "leather gloves", and then wombat leather gloves and dog leather gloves are together as leather gloves.

A more luxurious fix is:
-Improve the search function so you can toggle to see:

status - forbidden/unforbidden, dumped/not dumped
degradation - new, x, xx, X etc
quality

EXAMPLE: You had an invasion and the dead invaders left a lot of bronze shields scattered on the map. It would be SO easy to sort that out if you could first select "all shields > unforbid." and then "all shields xqualityx and worse > melt." The the dwarves would (eventually) gather all the shields that are OK in the armor stockpiles and melt all the broken ones.

And you could do the same for the clothes they leave.

This is actually important, because junk items suck FPS.

So making it easier to get rid of thousands of junk items that suck FPS would mean fewer players lost forts because of FPS-death.

As it is now, if I want to dump all xxglovesxx and atom smash them, I have to go through a huge list manually and unforbid and dump. It takes time that could be better spent striking the earth.

COMMENT: It is my impression that a lot of players didn't know you can dump and unforbid and melt from the stocks menu. I think the check mark boxes that make it obvious you can do that is a huge improvement, as it's now quite obvious that it's a thing you can do.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 07:11:49 am by Orange-of-Cthulhu »

TurboDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pangolins are kind of dwarfy, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Steam: Stocks screen badly need improvement
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 07:28:05 am »

Seems like an obvious improvement, i support this. Maybe we could also have nested categories on the stocks screen? So there would be Armor/Clothes > Gloves > Leather Gloves > Dog Leather Gloves, all as separate nested sub-categories under each other.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 10:00:18 am »

for some reason you can only scroll at a snail's pace.

Hold shift.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 04:31:29 am »

You can click the grey "category headings" in the items list to fold categories together, to instantly skip past 692 pear seeds.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 04:06:09 am »

Also, unless I'm missing something, as I mentioned in the suggestions thread, there's no indicator to show if something is equipped or installed. So for example, I can see I have 283 beds, but I can't see how many of those beds are installed and in use.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 06:44:30 pm »

Also, unless I'm missing something, as I mentioned in the suggestions thread, there's no indicator to show if something is equipped or installed. So for example, I can see I have 283 beds, but I can't see how many of those beds are installed and in use.

I haven't double-checked for Steam, but I think it's something like a white number for total number, red/orange for unavailable. The difference between those should be the available number.

The individual items should also have text colors that represent stuff, if that wasn't changed.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 06:47:18 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 06:54:48 pm »

The individual items should also have text colors that represent stuff, if that wasn't changed.
It seems to hav changed, I've got 7 beds, 6 are built, and they're all the same color on the stocks screen. Nor is there any other indication there of which are built.

Edit: My bookkeeper is set to level 4, I suppose I should test level 5. Re-edit: nope, doesn't make a difference.

Though loose items are shown in yellow and built things in cyan when you point the mouse at the items, just not on the stocks screen. However, even foreign made are also yellow, though they still hav the parentheses brackets.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 08:29:59 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

dth1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 07:31:36 am »

Bumping this one, all the improvements mentioned could be done later on, but for now we really need ability to filter by quality/damage with clear indication what is currently worn and what isn't, plus mass smelt/forbid/unforbid/dump. Clearing damaged clothing laying around is quite a chore right now...

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 08:59:57 pm »

The ability to increase and decrease granularity of groupings would be really appreciated to be honest. Specially with barrels: I don't much care what type of wood it's made of, or even if it's wood or not, I just want to get barrels of prepared meals to the trade depot. Same thing for bins of finished goods. Sure, sometimes I might want to separate which are which, but it's not standard.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 06:26:39 am »

Another major irritation for me that I mentioned elsewhere:
Once something is stored in a bin, it doesn't appear under its own sub-category on the "Move goods to Depot" screen, so you have to go sifting through bins to individually select things like earrings, crowns and other similarly traditional "trade" goods.

The first time I realised this was happening was when I knew I'd had a dwarf dedicated to creating such items, yet only a couple of them appeared in the "Move to" screen, and for some, even their sub-category didn't appear, as there were none outside of bins.