Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Steam) New Fort Limits?  (Read 983 times)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
(Steam) New Fort Limits?
« on: December 20, 2022, 03:51:51 am »

Okay, so I got curious about what the new limits for forts can be now, if there is any. Normally my computer can run a 5x5 Embark with 250 Strict Pop cap fine for a little while until I start getting advanced defense setups, well, setup.

Has anyone tested the Steam version with massive embark sizes, like a 10x10 with 200 Pop Cap? or even just going to the max 16x16 and seeing what happens? A person I know whose only ever played Steam DF told me that they did a 6x6 embark and is sitting at 100 dorfs just fine, so they're considering increasing it.

Edit: We also learned that you can have Multifloor Outside Housing now! They were able to build a 2 story house with a roof just fine, so that's exciting!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 04:00:52 am by Unknown72 »
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

MrGlasses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Steam) New Fort Limits?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 06:34:50 pm »

I'm finding that even at larger populations (Well over 200), that the game FPS is sitting between 30-50 depending on what's happening. Also finding that setting pathfinding priorities is helping a lot with that while flowing water is still killing it somewhat.

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 01:17:16 am »

Real quick question about the FPS counter: I have it at 100 <45> right now, which of those numbers is the computational FPS?

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 01:35:46 am »

Real quick question about the FPS counter: I have it at 100 <45> right now, which of those numbers is the computational FPS?

pretty sure it's the <45> but I could be wrong.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 01:05:39 pm »

The first number is the current frame rate, while the number in parentheses is the current graphical frame refresh rate.

And the default game frame rate is 100 while the default graphical is 50. You can easily test this by lowering the graphical in settings (hav to click done in settings before it will update, though). The actual graphical will never be higher than the game rate.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 01:07:49 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.