Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Steam Version] Orders Screen Update  (Read 314 times)

dth1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Steam Version] Orders Screen Update
« on: December 12, 2022, 08:37:52 am »

So currently adding stuff to workshops manually is a bit of a hassle, so until that's fixed by adding some keybindings and better field focus for search (move a cursor to the search field, make sure to click it then type exact name of searched object, repeat- takes a looooot of time and is annoying, but that's a separate topic), we mostly use the orders screen as it's much faster to build stuff that way. That being said, it works great when the fort is small and there aren't many orders, but once you get big enough it becomes a mess.

1. Move order to the top button - if you have crafting orders at the top of the list and you want to add something that has higher priority you have to click like 40 times to move your new order above the existing ones. And that's only if you added single order, too bad if you wanted to add like 10 of them : )
2. Make order groups - allow us to group orders, so that we could hide specific groups in order to make the whole list smaller and more manageable. It would be entirely visual change, doesn't need anything special. For now it could be just a button "create group" and "add to existing group", then the whole group is displayed in similar manner like the boxes are with their content. In the future groups could additional functionalities, like nesting groups in groups, suspending all orders in a whole group etc. but for now I would like to just have a way of organising my stuff so that I don't have to scroll through "forever" orders every time I want to add something new
3. Keybinding for adding new orders, or at least description update to tell me what the keybind is - it's a minor QoL improvement but nice to have
4. List all the necessary ingredients for the order to be properly done - this one is not obvious, but for example when I want to make some instrument, on every worldgen the recipe is different and it's really annoying to try to figure out how to build specific stuff, so I'd suggest to display the required materials for order to be correct when we're adding new order. "Add orders for required materials" would be great too

That's it. What do you think?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [Steam Version] Orders Screen Update
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 05:56:13 am »

Please add a (potentially optional) prompt to cancelling work orders, my dysgraphic hands keep cancelling orders when I'm trying to scroll and the cancel button is so far from the name that I can't see what I canceled, haha.