Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smaller In-Game Menu  (Read 437 times)

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
  • <dorf> has been possessed!
    • View Profile
Smaller In-Game Menu
« on: October 30, 2023, 01:52:23 pm »

While browsing tile sets and mods for 47.05, I came across a pack by Dragonmaster13 some time ago.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168704.msg7645556#msg7645556

One of the tweaks in this pack shrinks the In-Game hotkey menu a bit. Dragonmaster13 states, it's "an old df trick" in the post.

I'd like to recreate this in my personal v47 files but, I cannot figure out how to replicate this. I reached out by PM and inquired about it some time ago but haven't got a response and they haven't been on the forums in over a year.

Anyone out there know how this tweak can be recreated?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 03:39:49 am by tnuhnivad »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smaller In-Game Menu
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 02:48:44 pm »

Looks to me like either truetype text mode (F12) or using a thin font for text with TWBT. Edit: looks like the text is still fixed-width, so I think probably the TWBT one. Link: https://github.com/mifki/df-twbt#text-and-map-tilesets
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 02:52:17 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

tnuhnivad

• Bay Watcher
  • <dorf> has been possessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Smaller In-Game Menu
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2023, 03:36:17 am »

It works!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Extreme examples (DragonDePlatino's ASCII curses vectored 8x12 & 48x71) compared to the original map tile (Nagidal's ASCII 24x24)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I already had TWBT and DF Hack installed for multi level rendering. While I was aware TWBT's main use was separating map and font tile-sets it never occurred to utilize the feature for that specific use case. Unfortunately, despite removing the example dorf graphics from my game files they still appear instead of the standard ASCII dorf bubbles. I guess I gotta go make or find some custom dorf overrides! ;)

Edit; I just realized I can just simply gen a world with the desired high-res square tileset, then just change the font to a non-square smaller tileset, and load that world without enabling graphics. completely avoiding above issue and keeping pure ASCII
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 08:12:56 am by tnuhnivad »