Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doors and hatches shouldn't visibly open if used by sneaking enemies/ambushers  (Read 294 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile

Apparently ambushers (invisible until caught by your citizens) can be sort of detected if you see doors opening and closing "by themselves".

I suggest that this trick be fixed; if a door or hatch or whatever is being opened by enemies your fort isn't aware of/can't see, the opening animation shouldn't play.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I imagine this is intentional and I like that the doors open. It seems like a reward for the player being observant. I can see where you're coming from though, I guess the root issue is 'should the player be able to see anything that isn't observed by dwarfs?' Like when FB show up, what animals are in the caves, etc. It makes more sense not to know what's happening if nobody sees it, but it sounds less fun for the player if you were always depending on line of sight info from citizens.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a good deal of this beyond thieves and ambushers. You can see thieves steal artifacts, vampires drain the life of a sleeping dwarf, etc.; but, because there's so much going on, you're rarely going to notice in the moment.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile

It makes more sense not to know what's happening if nobody sees it, but it sounds less fun for the player if you were always depending on line of sight info from citizens.

And it'd probably end up with players just chaining puppies close to every map entry.