Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there any way to make a CREATURE spawn a PLANT?  (Read 864 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there any way to make a CREATURE spawn a PLANT?
« on: November 21, 2022, 04:21:22 am »

What I want: I'd like to use specific plant-properties in combination with my livestock, but autonomous / 'unmanaged'. Precisely: The growth falling down at a specific time of the year. So something like, that the creature plants the plant themself.

Is there a syndrome / interaction / material / itemproperty, creatureproperty, that causes a specific plant to grow? Maybe 'negative grazing'?

I know there are multiple ways to spawn creatures, but those do not have the properties I need.

This does not work: An interaction to drop a seed. Because the seed would not grow if not planted in a farm
this does not work: planting the seed in a farm: because it is not autonomous
this does not work: spawn it with an interaction as an item or creature, because they are not plants, and do not have growth that falls down.

I know my last resort: modding all regular grass and mos, to do the thing invisible, but I want to avoid modding vanilla stuff as much as possible

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to make a CREATURE spawn a PLANT?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2022, 11:21:16 pm »

You can spawn plant growths as item products just fine, which means that interactions should be perfectly okay for this.

Drakonis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 04:21:12 am »

Can you me a little more specific on what you're trying to achieve?

Plant creatures losing their leave during fall?
Plant creatures growing and droping fruits during spring?
Plant creature dies and now there's a sapling where it happened?

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 07:47:35 am »

I want my creatures to know, when it is a specific season, like autumn.
So i thought about the creatures spawning a tree/plant, which has growth falling in autumn, and this growt is then made from an evaporating material, which when inhaled causes a syndrome "I_Know_Its_Autumn" (so I can go to sleep in 3 months.

I short: I want them to have winter hibernation-behaviour.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 08:39:47 am »

@joostherer

Is your creature a playable one? There is the NO_WINTER token which prevents wild individuals of the species from appearing in winter. It's used by e.g. bears.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 05:35:31 pm »

Hi,

The creature is supposed to be livestock.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2022, 10:54:55 am »

You can give the creature a secretion that boils in non-winter temperatures, which adds a temporary syndrome when inhaled. The creature can also have a self-cleaning interaction that puts itself to sleep, but it cannot target itself if it has the aforementioned syndrome. This way it will breathe in its own evaporating secretion in the summer, and put itself to sleep in winter.

Note that this solution is temperature-dependent rather than season dependent, so the creature may behave differently in polar, tropical, or underground regions. It also has the side effect of constantly producing clouds of gas.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 05:28:45 am »

That's a cool idea! If I do that with 7 different materials, the creature is capable to determine the warmest moment, and thus can have some sort of timer ticking down 5 months. Eacht material has another boilingpoint, and the one with the highest boilingpoint gives a syndrome that overrides the others.
If I combine this with a 'mandatory outdoor festival', to guide the player in having these creatures outside once every month, it negates the underground-temperature difference.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 03:41:46 pm »

If you want to encourage the player to keep them above ground, you can give them the CAVE_ADAPT tag and apply a syndrome that occurs with cave adaptation. Cave adaptation effects turn off when the creature leaves the underground.