Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobolds can produce cobalt items  (Read 620 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobolds can produce cobalt items
« on: November 17, 2022, 04:01:48 pm »

Cobaltite was named after kobolds to begin with, and it's currently not smithable in the game. Kobolds have daggers most the time and access to all metals, I think it would be more interesting if they were using their namesake metal for everything and (from a lore perspective) the dwarves and humans didn't know how they manage it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 11:40:11 pm by Pillbo »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Kobolds can smith with cobalt
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 08:49:00 pm »

While interesting, the kobolds aren't supposed to actually be able to smelt and work any metal, their access to it is a stand-in for being able to steal and use stolen equipment, which is how they're supposed to acquire them in lore. I'm not sure what exactly is preventing them from stealing properly right now, probably tracking specific objects or something.

Lore wise them specifically being able to smelt cobalt and nothing else wouldn't make sense. They're not very bright anyway.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobolds can smith with cobalt
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 11:36:35 pm »

Smithing in my suggestion can be just as much a stand in as their current smithing is. It doesn’t matter much to me how intelligent they are, how they produce it, or how practical of a material it is. They can enslave troglodytes to hammer it into shape, or melt blades out of the raw ore with giant cave centipede venom, or curse at the cave walls until they weep a blue dagger. I’d just like kobolds to use cobalt, the mystery of how they do it is more fun than an explanation anyway.

So I changed the title to “produce” instead of “smith”.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 11:41:07 pm by Pillbo »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobolds can produce cobalt items
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 12:25:44 am »

Smithing in my suggestion can be just as much a stand in as their current smithing is. It doesn’t matter much to me how intelligent they are, how they produce it, or how practical of a material it is. They can enslave troglodytes to hammer it into shape, or melt blades out of the raw ore with giant cave centipede venom, or curse at the cave walls until they weep a blue dagger. I’d just like kobolds to use cobalt, the mystery of how they do it is more fun than an explanation anyway.

So I changed the title to “produce” instead of “smith”.

Why replace one stand-in with another?  Wouldn’t it be better to just fix things so they can actually steal stuff in world-gen?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 07:25:10 pm »

My suggestion is not a stand in, accomplishing it through ‘smithing’ was.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 09:04:53 pm »

For a game like DF, it does really seem like there needs to be a concrete explanation for how they get the stuff in order for the feature to not be a placeholder. You should eventually be able to play as any civ, so when you play as kobolds how do you get kobalt? If you sneak into a kobold cave as an adventurer, what does their industry look like?

For the kind of game DF is, if there's an in-world mystery shouldn't you be able to go and figure it out yourself? Perhaps there's multiple different answers to the question and it depends on your world.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 07:18:14 pm »

Like I said, I just don't care how they get it and it can be mysterious, that's the not the same as 'there is no reason'.

A suggestion can be simple, I'd rather Toady and Zach come up with the lore if they like the idea.