Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make my guns more damaging?  (Read 977 times)

Tachytaenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make my guns more damaging?
« on: October 25, 2022, 04:11:03 pm »

Here is the raw code for one type of handgonne ball:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_HANDGONNE_BALL_LARGE]
    [NAME:large handgonne ball:large handgonne balls]
    [SIZE:80]
    [CLASS:NONE]
    [ATTACK:BLUNT:9:30000:poke:pokes:NO_SUB:3000]
    [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
    [TACHY_GUNS_STUCK_IN_DAMAGE_MULTIPLIER:100]
Ignore the custom raw token, my mod deals with that.
CLASS:NONE is because the mod shoots a charge item which turns *into* a ball when fired.

The large handgonne has a SHOOT_FORCE and SHOOT_MAXVEL of 8000.

Surely this should be able to pulp? But it just chips bones and bruises! Are the values' effects capped...?
I tried editing the data of projectiles using gui/gm-editor but couldn't find anything that makes them deal more damage. Even tried setting the projectile to parabolic and giving it a massive speed, but no luck there either.
Don't minecart shotguns cause extreme destruction? Surely I would have made similar values to such a projectile in my experimentation...

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: How to make my guns more damaging?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 11:28:09 pm »

9 is a very low contact area which leans you toward chipping and small bone breaks rather than pulping. 100 or higher is a lot better for this. Your ammo's 3K velocity only applies to the ammo being used in melee as miscellaneous object user skill.

In doing a quick test (re:going more cannon than arquebus/musket), and expecting the shot to propel the target backwards and obliterate, I went with SHOOT_FORCE and SHOOT_MAXVEL at 900K or more with 200 contact area ammo. But you could go much higher at say 900M.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This was just me mucking about with either SHOOT_FORCE and SHOOT_MAXVEL  and the ammo's contact area.

While I don't know what damage messages you are looking for, I changed the numbers to get cannon ball effect.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 11:45:39 pm »

An interesting, funny trivial finding are when SHOOT_FORCE and SHOOT_MAXVEL are very high, ammo fired experiences xwearx irrespective of whether it hits or misses.

Tachytaenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 02:11:03 am »

Thank you for your input.
So, with one configuration (area of about 200 for large handgonne balls, shoot force/maxvel of 800000) I was able to cause an upper leg to explode into gore but still only bruise the lower body. Strange

Tachytaenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 02:39:20 am »

I've settled on large area edged attacks for the projectiles, thanks to Putnam's help in the Kitfox discord

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 01:40:18 am »

Generally, I've found my bullets don't tend to make things explode, they do a ton of internal damage instead.  To make things explode, I'd make the bullet hammer sized, and see if that helps.  AFAIK, I don't think the attack type does anything, edge, blunt, or whatever is for melee right?  I'll look into making a bigger bullet and seeing what that does.  I'm in a !!!SCIENCE!!! mood. 

Lead Hammer sized (hammers are 400 size) AK47 bullet:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But yeah, basically, the tools we have are shot size, shot weight, shootforce, and maxvel, and I tend to keep maxvel 'uncapped' at 9999999 because if you got the math right, bullet velocity should be about correct regardless of the maxvel. 

Oh and standard size AK47 bullets are size 2.36.  I think the game rounds, but I'm not sure. 

Other stuff I learned testing out my guns.  Your main method of killing is either puncturing the lungs or shooting the head.  It takes 3-4 shots to get this, but you can generally get it fairly quickly.  I'll probably edit this again in a second. 

I'm gonna make a propper musket and test with that. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 02:00:43 am by alamoes »