Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can i make a creature interact with an item?  (Read 423 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How can i make a creature interact with an item?
« on: November 17, 2022, 04:54:09 pm »

Is there a way to make a creature interact with an item?
for example:
a dog gnawing a bone,
an ape playing drums

i mean: in fortress mode.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can i make a creature interact with an item?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 07:20:23 pm »

coaxing dwarfs into specific interactions can be accomplished but it requires finagling orders and sort of hoping the dwarves act as you want them to. like locking dwarves in specific locations, knowing they will get hungry and thus go pick up some piece of food, crossing a pressure plate, activating ???, etc etc

so, no, in a specific directed way you cannot order dwarves to do anything beyond attacking via the 's'quad menu.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can i make a creature interact with an item?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 05:48:15 am »

Alright. so, I want to create an interaction for some sort intelligent ape-like creature, which I can bring in my fortress as livestock.
But I want them to have some sort of internal 'civilisation', in which they do all kinds of stuff among themselves. In this context, it seems cool to let them do something with an object, of maybe an interaction when an item is nearby. Like 'dancing around', when the torches are lit, or something like that. Can I do that, or maybe simulate something like this?

I know I can make an interaction with material, but the material is produced in the interaction, not used.
I can create a specific material lying around, which evaporated en the damps causing a syndrome, triggering the specific behaviour.
But I like to make this happen with items or buildings, not with specially created boiling materials. What are my options?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 05:51:03 am by joostheger »