Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: My Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - OOC Thread  (Read 5489 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: My Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - Hub Thread
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2022, 12:55:51 pm »

Well we all lost beacons. My own reaction to losing one was "shit" lol, and destroying one, well I think I posted a YT music vid or something. Was it more what you lost stung, or killing them felt bad?
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2022, 01:07:59 pm »

I'm not sure the demoralizing feeling is any different than an enemy team making a big score in a sports game. I do make a lot of cooperative games, but I'm not sure wins and loses shouldn't feel emotional in a PVP game. I think that's kind of the appeal. If you disagree I'd love to know.

It's also important "snowball" =/= guaranteed victory

Your beacons were unprotected, obviously. Just like mine was.

Well, judging by the number of times read shooting up from 2417 to 2428 in less than 3 minutes, a lot of people decided to watch.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 01:18:18 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2022, 01:21:43 pm »

What would people like to see happen next?
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2022, 02:16:47 pm »

I'm not sure the demoralizing feeling is any different than an enemy team making a big score in a sports game. I do make a lot of cooperative games, but I'm not sure wins and loses shouldn't feel emotional in a PVP game. I think that's kind of the appeal. If you disagree I'd love to know.
No, that's not what I was trying to say. I'm just saying exactly what I said. I'll try to be clearer. This is a very long game. It's a significant time investment to place beacons. There are two ways to win: take over all the armories, or make your opponents stop posting. Opponents will stop posting when they don't think they can win or when they've suffered a crippling setback. Having beacons destroyed is one such setback: it undoes many days worth of activity. So the most straightforward way to win this game is to make other players demoralised through overwhelming show of force.

Let us contrast this to this game. Players only needed the majority of armouries to win, so the game could be competitive with more than two players right until the end, and the armouries were much closer together so the games could be much less slow too.

So, contrast: win through grinding down your opponent's resolve vs win through tactically capturing enough positions. Which one sounds more fun to play?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #154 on: December 03, 2022, 03:18:57 pm »

It's a significant time investment to place beacons. There are two ways to win: take over all the armories, or make your opponents stop posting. Opponents will stop posting when they don't think they can win or when they've suffered a crippling setback.
I stopped posting because I got distracted, and I will assume Zultan stopped to wait for me, as we had an alliance and it would be disadvantageous to do otherwise.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2022, 03:25:01 pm »

So, contrast: win through grinding down your opponent's resolve vs win through tactically capturing enough positions. Which one sounds more fun to play?

Honestly the beacons, that's why I added it in.

I think the micro situations became much more interesting than any of the previous games, with players starting on the outside and fighting there way inside. In the past, units flooding in from the middle of the map made it feel smaller.

Grinding down resolve is exactly how a1s beat Zultan and me in MFB, and it was a great game. It feels good to be outplayed.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #156 on: December 03, 2022, 03:35:02 pm »

Changing the win condition is as simple as us all saying "hey, this is running long, how about we reduce the door requirement?"

Every single previous game, players have told me to slow down, to not rush the ending. I know you weren't there but that's what Q, A, and Z wished. Longer games.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 04:21:03 pm by RoseHeart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 03, 2022, 05:14:56 pm »

I like the ending GIF, it's a nice touch.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2022, 02:38:36 am »

I will say that I still prefer the long game over the hourly thing.

I stopped posting because I got distracted, and I will assume Zultan stopped to wait for me, as we had an alliance and it would be disadvantageous to do otherwise.
The few times I didn't post were ether because I was the last one to post and no one else posted or no one posted since I was last on and I forgot to post on it since I didn't see the game.

Grinding down resolve is exactly how a1s beat Zultan and me in MFB, and it was a great game. It feels good to be outplayed.
If I remember right I lost because a1s was able to post more often than I was since it was still and hourly game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2022, 06:33:34 pm »

New theme is underwater "Abyss" incase you want to design units early.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: My Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - OOC Thread
« Reply #160 on: December 16, 2022, 01:11:04 pm »

Feeling autistic burnout from my forum game related commitments, so I'm going to limit my involvement for the next two weeks. Abyss Platoon will be delayed until I recover.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Forum Platoon (H&H x Picture Wars) - OOC Thread
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2022, 02:41:28 am »

Take as long as you need.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]