Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Think of the dragons!  (Read 775 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
Think of the dragons!
« on: October 13, 2022, 01:26:01 pm »

Dragons in DF are so utterly... boring.
Yes, they're powerful, they are dangerous to deal with, but they're utterly boring.

So, as a part of myth and magic update I propose to add the following changes to the dergs:

1. Randomized breath weapons. Not every dragon should breathe fire. Some should breathe ice, acid, poison, electricity or even other stuff.
2. Dragon personalities. I think dragons shouldn't be just dumb beasts to be disposed of. I think they should be intelligent and have varying personalities, just like the other races. Yes, some would want to burn and destroy everything in sight, but some should be neutral or even friendly/helpful, so the player, both in fort and adventure mode would have to think if he/she really wants to kill that dragon and risk angering neutral or even friendly dragon.*
3. Dragons should know advanced magic and be able to teach them to dwarfs and other civs if they're friendly. They have lived for centuries, if not millennia so it makes sense they'd pick up some tricks.
*Dragon personalities explanation:

Decided to put it after the asterisk, because otherwise the second point would be too long.

Bad/angry/evil/whatever you want to call it: These dergs just want to burn everything in sight, either because they were wronged in the past (looking at you, Alan!) or because they were just born that way (being raised by "evil" dragons increases likelihood that the child will also be evil). They can be turned neutral, but it would take a lot of time and appeasement, they also would mellow over the time (centuries) given they aren't disturbed and angered further.

Neutral: Neither good, or bad. Be careful, if attacked they would turn into bad/evil dergs, though unlike the pregenerated evil dergs, they'd not be fully gone, allowing players to right the wrong (though if too much time passes before the player makes things right, they'd be evil for good). If the player decide to be nice to them, they'd slowly become friendly/helpful dergs.

Friendly/helpful: Nice dergs. These will help players in various ways, from making nice ash piles where the enemies once stood, to helping in forges and kitchens (and anywhere the fire would be useful). They also make sure to control the range and the temperature of their flames, although accidents do happen. They would also teach and learn from the local wizards that are either a part of or friends with the civ these nice dergs are part of.

While I've described it as 3 states, I would actually like this to be a spectrum from fully bad to really friendly. Some "evil" dergs would still help out if it aligns with their interests, while some good dergs are good to the point of refusing to hurt a living thing, even if they're the enemy. Or on the flipside, would help dispose of enemies or making weapons, but refuse to teach any magic either because the dragon in question thinks the mortals aren't yet ready, or wouldn't be able to safely use it.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Deno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Think of the dragons!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 01:44:45 pm »

Sounds like dragons from D&D. Love the idea, especially the part about knowing and teaching magic. Considering that people worshipping megabeasts is a thing already, having a dragon as your patron granting or teaching you magic would be pretty cool.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 01:54:36 pm »

+1. Seems like an obvious extension of the randomized dragon generator that's already planned, and sapient dragons are practically the standard in modern fantasy so it only makes sense for DF to follow suit.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 08:42:25 pm »

Toady has expressed interest in the past in doing semi or even fully procedurally generated dragons. Different breath abilities/magic and body plans/parts were on he table for sure. varying degrees of intelligence and personalities would definitely be nice factors as well. They are occasionally worshiped by people as pseudo-deities already, their personality and intelligence factoring into how worshipers see and treat them would be awesome too.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 12:51:47 pm »

Yeah, kinda forgot about megabeast worship being a thing, hehe.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 03:49:52 am »

Okay!

Thinks of the dragons...
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 11:44:27 am »

Different base types of Dragons from different cultures / times. Maybe choose one type per world. So one has the modern Fantasy Dragon, in another dragons are more similar to giant snakes.