Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weaponry question - Adamantine/Steel - Quality  (Read 5592 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponry question - Adamantine/Steel - Quality
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 04:54:59 pm »

I've constructed a fort meant to provide advantages to my dwarves as we pierce HFS. I've got 50 axelord dwarves and a squad of crossbow dwarves that will hopefully shoot things when I lock them in their perches. Everyone is wearing nothing but masterwork steel, first squad has adamantine axes.
Make sure you design it so your archers can't get hit by deadly dust or demonfire, then send in your axelords afterwards to mop up the less hazardous ones. Steel can be melted by demonfire.

They are of sufficient distance, also the plan is to shoot the demons off a 1x walkway. I've had success in the past doing this.

Though the bridge itself is made of steel. If it comes apart I wonder what will happen.

Anyway there's some hidden alcoves for melee guys to run in from the sides when that comes time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

codeCrafter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2022, 01:29:25 am »

I agree that adamantine is always better, but are you ever likely to encounter enemies armoured in steel? The only time I can think of is if one of your military dwarves goes berserk
I have a fort with regular "cold butcher" zombie attacks on winter. It is dwarves in plain steel armour, mostly

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2022, 11:51:39 am »

Hey, I remember this. Almost everyone died horribly, but it technically worked.

Quite the necro.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2022, 07:44:48 pm »

Well, since it has been raised from the dead, care to elaborate on how it "technically worked"?

In particular, I noted you were using a steel bridge.  When I did that, it quickly became a cloud of boiling steel, so I'd be curious about your experience.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2022, 03:57:51 pm »

Well, the bridge didn't melt. Not sure why or how. I'm quite sure I also used magma-safe mechanisms to help prevent it, maybe that was the factor. If I had an artifact mechanism I would have used that, but I don't specifically recall.

Anyway, it was a long time ago, but from what I recall the demons came across the bridge and met my massive axepile halfway. Dust and smoke immediately obscured everything as demon parts were severed and evaporated and dust attacks went off. I was treated to body parts flying everywhere out of the clouds, but having crossbows fire from the side worked in knocking demons off the bridge and making them re-path. Eventually it cleared and my entire melee military was pulp. There was like, 1-2 badly mangled demons flopping around which I was able to dispatch. Probably by having the remaining crossbow dwarves dogpile.

The main thing was the crossbows could still target (apparently with reliable accuracy) into the obscured dust/smoke clouds. I distinctly recall this being a relatively easy demon horde, mostly salt and smoke materials, that kind of thing.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2022, 09:59:17 am »

Ahh yes, the combat modeling does not know what to think about "obscured vision."  At least, as of yet.

I'll think about that mechanism topic.  It might have been part of my problem, though I'm still not sure if, say, demons will have variation game-to-game in the temperature of fire.
Pages: 1 [2]