Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's Yours Is Mine - A Space Pirate Arms Race  (Read 639 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's Yours Is Mine - A Space Pirate Arms Race
« on: September 11, 2022, 11:34:29 pm »

Since the discovery of Hyperspace Lanes (Hyperlanes) linking distant star systems a number of centuries ago, humans have been able to rapidly expand throughout the galaxy. Distant stars that once would have necessitated expensive and risky generational ships were now accessible with just a few weeks of travel thanks to the Gates constructed at their ends. Nations, corporations, and special interest groups of all flavors utilized the wealth, prestige, and power they had in order to carve out their own private sector of space. An unprecedented era of peace washed over humanity, as most disagreements could be settled simply by paying for the other party's trip to fuck off into space. Ideological conflicts still occurred, but there was little to worry about in regard to scarcity of resources and territory. Hyperspace drives were developed for ships, at best a rural backroad compared to the expressway of the Hyperlanes, and provided humanity the chance to go where no man had gone before.

But some people get bored of stability, of a life without the excitement of staring down death and laughing. Or they just want benefits without the work that comes along with them. Perhaps they're just psychopaths. Regardless, this astounding Golden Age of Humanity was also a Golden Age of Space Piracy. Small factions of like-minded criminals often trolled the space around small colonies and out of the way outposts, preying on the weak or ambushing juicy targets that passed through their area outside of Hyperlanes. These bands of pirates may scrape by, but none of them can amount to you.

One larger pirate faction within the Sagan Sector, known as The Sons of Sinners, came across a battered, structurally and atmospherically compromised research station drifting alone in deep space. Somehow, intact within was a set of instructions and the resources required to construct a pair of devices referred to as "Lanerippers". A Laneripper let (relatively) nearby ships cut into a Hyperlane without needing to be at the entry or exit points, and with no requirement for additional infrastructure like the Gates. Most importantly, ships within a Hyperlane could be ripped back out and forced into their equivalent location in real space and even pulled back through to their point of origin.

As fate would have it, four oft-used Hyperlanes cut "through" (Hyperlanes are essentially pocket dimensions but still have positioning relative to real space, so this isn't necessarily an accurate description - maybe alongside? Within? Scientists still don't know) the Sagan Sector within range of a pair of star systems.

Also as fate would have it, two distinct and dominant factions within The Sons of Sinners had come to an increasing number of disagreements to the point of outright hostility. In-fighting left most of their ships torn asunder, their resources low, and their numbers reduced. But both Laneripper schematics and supplies survived and, as fate would have it yet again, they fell into the hands of the two now separate factions who limped off to find their own new bases of operations.

After patching the holes in the few ships they had left over, Ragnarr's Reavers and The Black Hole Buccaneers found themselves unable to strike a finishing blow without irreplaceable losses on their own ends. They have instead returned to piracy, using their Lanerippers to conduct attacks on shipping and engaging in the occasional skirmish should they come across one another.

As one of the creative minds within the Reavers or Buccaneers it will be your job to come up with new tools, vessels, and tactics to ensure your pirates can sustain themselves and thrive in the area - perhaps even enough to carve out a small pirate empire. But your focus will not be one of outright conquest. Instead, you are driven to take what you need/want and deprive your enemies of the resources they need to survive.

Familiarize yourself with the equipment both sides start with, look over the questions you need to answer in your first turn (alongside your standard actions), read the rules, and get to your team threads to start the stellar swashbuckling! If you're worried about forgetting or missing rules, don't worry! I'll go over most of it again as we continue onward.

Small note I'll include here because I know some people don't bother with spoilers anymore: The setting is not quite hard or soft sci-fi and there is a lot of flexibility in interpretation of science, however one thing that is static is the use of "vertical" arrangements of decks within most ships. The engines are responsible for gravitational pull, so they are the "bottom" of the ship. This means that walking around when engines are on requires your feet be pointed toward them. If you want an idea of ships that operate this way, look into The Expanse as opposed to having gravity run perpendicular to the engines for reasons as in Star Wars. If you don't want to do that, imagine building a skyscraper vs a mall.

Spoiler: Starting Armories (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Turns and Phases (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Designs and Revisions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources and Rarity (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Piracy And You (click to show/hide)

Time to pick a team, stick to their thread, be a good sport, and have fun!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 11:10:00 am by Man of Paper »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's Yours Is Mine - A Space Pirate Arms Race
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 12:38:32 am »

Ptw
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 05:40:41 am »

If we design a new craft, does it start out in Perfect condition, or do we need to spend Materials to build it? (The same question could be asked of new Crew types)
If a faction picks the Cruiser start, can the cruiser be reverse-engineered in any way (individual components, ship structure, underlying technology, etc), or is it Enigmatic Technology Beyond Human Comprehension?
What sort of engines are we using? Chemical, ionic, fusion, don't-ask-this-sort-of-question-ium?
Do we know how to build Patchwork Freighters from scratch? That is, are we already familiar with basic shipbuilding techniques, or would it be easiest to capture NPC ships and convert them into warships?
Are there FTL comms? That is, can NPC ships call for help from distant vessels, making it dangerous to take too long when looting them?
Is Looting limited by cargo capacity? That is, can we only loot so much stuff before our Patchwork Freighters are full, or can we, like, attach excess cargo containers to the outside with bungee cords?
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 06:32:58 am »

They start perfect.

The cruiser is perfectly normal technology but in no way helps to make anything else.

Engines are a proprietary blend of eleven herbs and spices that make up a Hyperdrive. They’re handwavium that you can bullshit into what you need, with the caveat that no one type of engine is going to outperform another based on anything other than the design results.

You’re building your ships from scratch (mostly so I don’t have to worry about the implications of every single ship I send down the pipes).

There is ftl comms, but when you’re compressing potentially tens of thousands of light years in Hyperlane travel there’s still going to be a significant amount of time between calls for help and the arrival of aid. If you take a week or two  to loot a ship then you might be having some issues with responders.

Looting is not limited by cargo capacity. Pirates will leave crates stacked in the stairwells if need be to get the loot they worked for home. Although the bungee cord thing is also on-brand.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 06:58:31 am by Man of Paper »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 06:45:04 am »

Alright, signing up for the black hole buccaneers
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile