Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Iris' descent into game dev hell  (Read 3355 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Iris' descent into game dev hell
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2022, 04:42:24 am »

Isometric does bring back fond memories of younger years, when many games were isometric.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2022, 05:56:51 am »

Assuming Unity is flexible enough, why not do a bit of both? My first game has a (barely) 3D world and 2D combat.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2022, 02:24:30 am »

Project Zomboid has 3D characters, enemies, and vehicles and 2D sprites for everything else, and it looks pretty good so it could work on this as well.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2022, 09:12:06 pm »

Assuming Unity is flexible enough, why not do a bit of both? My first game has a (barely) 3D world and 2D combat.

The primary barrier to that would be my totally-nonexistent art skills. I figure by simplifying it I can minimize the things that go wrong at the sharp end.

Today's update: I haven't worked on either idea much because I've been burnt out with programming lately and learning Unity is something that would be nice to do, instead of something I want to do as a career. I considered giving up and trying to make the menus in Python as a mockup, but I decided that would defeat the purpose of trying to learn a game engine.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2022, 11:36:09 pm »

Something fun I did with my younger brother in Unity is make a keyboard-controlled helicopter with realistic helicopter physics and spinning rotors. I would suggest something similar. It seems it would be more instructive and fun to start with something light on UI, instead making use of visual game objects and their interactions, which is what Unity greatly facilitates.

A 3D platformer could be a nice example.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2022, 01:53:41 am »

Yeah, if you're learning the engine, don't worry about art and design yet. A function UI only needs to be buttons and blurry numbers. You can get away with just using perfect spheres or any other placeholder until the mechanics work, then start the content creation process of making assets.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2022, 02:01:16 am »

If your just learning why not a simpler type of game like a side scrolling thing or a platformer?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2022, 04:48:07 pm »

Something fun I did with my younger brother in Unity is make a keyboard-controlled helicopter with realistic helicopter physics and spinning rotors. I would suggest something similar. It seems it would be more instructive and fun to start with something light on UI, instead making use of visual game objects and their interactions, which is what Unity greatly facilitates.

Damn, you just described my Dream Game. I LOVED me SimCopter!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2022, 11:45:29 am »

The primary barrier to that would be my totally-nonexistent art skills. I figure by simplifying it I can minimize the things that go wrong at the sharp end.

Today's update: I haven't worked on either idea much because I've been burnt out with programming lately and learning Unity is something that would be nice to do, instead of something I want to do as a career. I considered giving up and trying to make the menus in Python as a mockup, but I decided that would defeat the purpose of trying to learn a game engine.

One major barrier i found in all my projects, was that I always tried to do hard stuff, when the basics are actually an obstacle themselves.
Also, the best indie games generally milk a small handful of quality code. Aka if your goal is to pump out content, you should be re-using stuff you already worked on, more commonly, than programming something new. The dev of Undertale focused on reusable and easy stuff, while also investing in content from his best skills, music and drama.

Of course now he makes an rpg like final fantasy which in my opinion stretches his skills to their limit, but to each his own.

Speaking of: I ran into a small problem yesterday. Specifically, I realized I didn't know what the results of the crafting system were going to be used for, which meant I had a hard time making parts or envisioning what they would be combined with to make.
Maybe a level editor would be more suitable?
The very basics are actually a fair amount of work, and you could then use that in your future projects. Also, a level editor is (slightly) more modular than a crafting system.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2022, 11:38:52 am »

Apologies for not keeping this updated. After some time, I have decided to reevaluate my goals and start on something simpler - the shape of which I am not sure of, but will hopefully come soon.

In addition, due to the fact that I am getting nowhere fast with Unity, I have decided to look into Godot and see if it serves my needs.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Pages: 1 [2]