Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Costal erosion and Sea Level changes occuring over time  (Read 1016 times)

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
Costal erosion and Sea Level changes occuring over time
« on: August 06, 2022, 08:55:13 am »

So overtime the map changes, sea level rises, islands shifting together or breaking off. Sea volcanos forming islands(more tectonic plates). So sites might end up becoming lost under the ocean or burried in magma. It would make historial maps look interesting, espeically as someone who plays a world for centuries, seeing places get lost, sink into the ocean and what not. It would give the sea more depth, going to the ruins of a semi submerged fort, trying to find a lost artifact. Additionally an island that had no contact with the rest of the world being bridged to it due to a shift in land or sea levels.

The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: Costal erosion and Sea Level changes occuring over time
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 05:11:20 am »

The landmasses moving is probably a longer term goal, and the addition of ice and hothouse ages can be a simpler, earlier substitude. Even a simple change in sea levels can make a map look much different. e.g Sundaland and Zealandia.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 12:37:03 pm »

I think having different timescales for realistic world setting to simulate the planet for millions of years per tick before starting legend creation would also be nice. Basically like SimEarth did it.

Having simulated continental drift.
Change in Atmospheric composition.
Simple evolution.
Influence of celestial bodies. (Possibility of starting on a planet with a dying star? Something like the Theia crash?)
Forming of the star system.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 06:46:24 pm »

Players might have to create dikes to preserve their facilities from floods from rivers and sea.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Deno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 06:33:36 am »

Great idea. The world needs to be more dynamic anyway. I think Toady mentioned sites becomming ruins and buildings sinking into the ground over time or being covered by earth. Aside from nature doing its thing, the influence of civilized races and magic on the environment needs to be considered too. Civilized races should be able to terraform. Moving earth to create a hill or flatten terrain, digging tunnels through a mountain to build a road, building dams or redirecting rivers, draining swamps, etc. And magic should influence things too, as described in this http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173189.0 thread.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 07:06:37 pm »

Great idea. The world needs to be more dynamic anyway. I think Toady mentioned sites becomming ruins and buildings sinking into the ground over time or being covered by earth. Aside from nature doing its thing, the influence of civilized races and magic on the environment needs to be considered too. Civilized races should be able to terraform. Moving earth to create a hill or flatten terrain, digging tunnels through a mountain to build a road, building dams or redirecting rivers, draining swamps, etc. And magic should influence things too, as described in this http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173189.0 thread

And we could even see younger races reusing the infrastructure of older ones: for exemple, a road network, sewers or a canal might be useful enough for reuse.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."